Express Yourself at Citizen School
Organized by: Zola Coleman
I am volunteering this semester with Citizen Schools to give, learn, and grow. Every week I will be planning a class lesson with my Team Leader (a student teacher) and teaching a class of 21 students.
The course I am teaching is called "Express Yourself". It is a fashion curriculum that I designed to teach branding, styling, sales, and self-expression.
I am asking for donations to help offset the cost of the supplies we will need during these 10 weeks. Due to the popularity of my course, the lack of staff support, and insufficient schools supplies available at the school, I will need to provide everything from the glue sticks to the T-shirts the students will present as their final project (FYI your local public school teacher pays for many if not most of their classroom supplies out of pocket).
So far my students are bright, energetic and craving supplies to express themselves more fully. Many of my students do not speak English fluently or at all, some of my students have learning disabilities,and others have behavior disorders. But ALL of them choose to be in my class so they could make t-shirts and express themselves - now I need your help!
- I am volunteer teaching for 10 weeks at a BPS middle school
- The class has aproximately 21 students
- Your donation will go directly to buying weekly supplies for the students including posterboard, markers, stickers, paint, and T-shirts
- You can read more about Citizen Schools here: http://www.citizenschools.org/volunteer/why-volunteer/
- You can learn more about the Dever McComack School, the largest public middle school in Boston: http://devermccormack.org