BENEFITING: FAMILY SHELTER SERVICE INC
OCTOBER IS DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AWARENESS MONTH
Think domestic violence doesn’t happen here?
January 2017: A Glendale Heights woman was murdered by her husband
February 2017: A Wheaton woman was murdered by her ex-husband
May 2017: A Woodridge woman and her unborn baby were murdered by her husband
June 2017: A Roselle woman is murdered by her husband
June 2017: A Bensenville woman is murdered by her husband
· Domestic violence affects one in three women and one in five men
· Domestic violence takes lives: innocents and bystanders
· Domestic violence has been found in the background of perpetrators in an estimated 56 percent of mass killings
· Domestic violence costs the local DuPage economy alone an estimated $18 million in lost productivity
· Domestic violence ruins lives and creates traumatic after-effects that can last a lifetime, such as mental and physical illness, drug abuse and early mortality
· Domestic violence can happen to anyone… and does
· In one way or another, domestic violence affects everyone
Last year, 1500 women and children had to be turned away from Family Shelter Service. Please help us help one more.
With matters of life and death at stake, we all should be concerned. Domestic violence agencies play a crucial role in helping people trapped in tragic situations. They not only find safety here, but a whole array of services to help them rebuild their lives and get back on their feet.
Without organizations like ours, a short-term problem will likely become a chronic one.
We can all agree that these victims – primarily women and children – deserve every protection we can offer. Lives are at risk. The clock is ticking.