I was truly blown-away by this experience and this trip, with its combination of incredible students, poignant places, and powerful seminars.
-Salina Bakshi, 2014 Medical Fellow
FASPE Medical examines the roles played by physicians during the Holocaust and in Nazi Germany, underscoring the reality that moral codes governing the medical profession can break down or be distorted with devastating consequences. Having learned the power of their profession, the Medical Fellows are better positioned (and more willing) to address various contemporary ethical issues facing their profession and individual doctors. The program integrates historical, medical, philosophical, and literary sources; survivor testimony; and on-site workshops in Berlin, Auschwitz, and Krakow.
FASPE Medical Fellows examine such topics as:
- The complicity of medical professionals in Nazi policies and the Holocaust
- The relationship between state authority and medicine
- The impact of resource limitations on healthcare decisions
- Medical research on human subjects
- Euthanasia\physician assisted suicide
- The legacy of prejudice in the medical profession