Team fidget wrote -
Megan Bridge wrote -
Blue Cross RiverRink at Penn’s Landing
FringeA-Thon is an epic outdoor, 12-hour dance-party-marathon supporting FringeArts as well as organizations like fidget that make up the cultural community in Philadelphia. FringeArts presents world-class, contemporary performing arts that challenge convention and inspire new ways of thinking. fidget provides a space for experimental arts and inquiry in Kensington, and serves as a platform for the collaborative work of choreographer Megan Bridge and composer Peter Price.
Raise money for the arts community, then dance your “art” out at FringeA-thon which includes an exciting line-up of DJs, themed dance hours, pop-up dance performances, dance competitions, and a coordinated dance finale by all of the fundraising participants. Dancing 12 hours is not required, but we challenge you to try!
WHAT TO EXPECT AT FRINGEA-THON
John Jarboe, artistic director of The Bearded Ladies Cabaret, host and curator of Get Pegged Cabaret, and general spectacle-maker will be the MC for the evening, coaching dancers through the entire 12 hours.
Melanie Cotton, local choreographer and dancer will be leading the step-by-step, communal group dance finale.
These DJs will whip the crowd into a sonic frenzy:
- DJ Cosmo Baker, a Philadelphia native and one of New York’s most exciting party-rocking DJs. He is a master of hip-hop, disco & funk, and electronic dance music, which he mixes and matches in his unique style.
- DJ lil’dave, a Philadelphia-based audio tastemaker with a propensity for funky grooves, broken boogie, and thumping bass.
- DJ Dame Luz, the Philadelphia-based DJ, remixer, producer, and promoter behind the legendary Holy Trinity parties and CutNPaste parties.
- DJ Rahsaan, a global-minded DJ and selector specializing in Boogaloo, Cuban rumba, Salsa Dura, Latin Disco, and more.
- DJ Rich Medina, an elite DJ who has joined the handful of DJs at the top of their field, and takes audiences on a sonic journey through hip-hop, house, soul, afrobeat, funk, breaks, and dance classics.
- DJ Royale, whose Philly roots have undeniably shaped his sound and has been described as 'timeless & technical' and has been known for hosting original parties with an 'everybody's welcome' ethos.
Pop-up performances from Philadelphia’s best professional dancers will filter through the crowd, teaching some new moves and demonstrating steps. Dancers include:
- Kemar Jewel and the Xcel Dance Crew, an exciting vogue crew who incorporate dance and theater to make magic.
- Steve Lunger (Steve Believe), a seasoned dance-battle master who will be coordinating friendly dance battles between competing teams.
WHY DANCE YOUR ART OUT?
- Make a difference and spotlight, celebrate and support the arts community in Philadelphia.
- Express Yourself! No experience necessary. Dance participants come together and celebrate dance in their own meaningful way. Dance for 2 hours, dance for 12 hours. There are no limits on how long participants dance, just as long as they are having fun!
- Break a sweat! Dancing is good for you. Think of all of the calories you can burn!
JOIN FIDGET's DANCE TEAM:
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- Create your personal fundraising page. There is $25 registration fee ($15 for students) which acts as your first gift to yourself!
- Choose Team fidget! You'll be prompted to choose a team. Join us!
- Set a goal. There are no requirements, but we suggest $150 as your personal fundraising goal. That's 10 $15 donations from 10 people you know. If we get 20 people to raise $150 each, we'll meet our team goal for fidget!
- Ask your friends, family and colleagues to help you raise money for fidget and FringeArts.
- Then, Dance Your Art Out on May 20!
HOW DOES IT BENEFIT THE ARTS COMMUNITY?
FringeA-thon offers a unique opportunity for local arts organizations like fidget, individual artists and other non-profits to become beneficiary partners. By participating in FringeA-Thon, beneficiary partners will dance to raise funds for FringeArts as well as their own organization or special projects.
Participating in FringeA-Thon as a beneficiary partner allows non-profit organizations and individual artists to spotlight special initiatives or projects using FringeA-Thon as a fundraising vehicle. FringeA-Thon will provide an online fundraising platform and a great 12-hour event to market your project or organization.
Beneficiary partners will create a team and recruit dancers to fundraise for their cause. All partners will receive a 75% split of all proceeds raised by their team (including the $25 registration fee). It’s a low impact way to raise additional funds while supporting the cultural sector of the city.