Catherine Yi wrote -
Donate today to help fight hunger in the Chicagoland area!
Check out the gallery for more information and updates on my training, fundraising progress, and involvement with the Greater Chicago Food Depository!
Welcome to my fundraising page! This year, I will be running the Chicago Marathon on October 11th and am working to raise money for a nonprofit organization: the Greater Chicago Food Depository (GCFD - more information on organization below).
Running has always been a passion of mine. Although it started off as an effort to stay in shape, integrating long runs into my lifestyle - starting with a 2014 half marathon - has influenced me more positively than I could have imagined. These long runs have taught me to meditate, appreciate solitude, and always reach further and deeper with confidence - which has brought me here. When I decided to sign up for a marathon I realized that finishing 26.2 miles isn't enough for me. I want to make a difference. I want to run with a purpose.
After much research, I decided to fundraise for the Greater Chicago Food Depository for many reasons but 3 in particular:
- They are a local organization from where I was born and raised. The money raised will directly impact people in the community where I hail from and continue to live and work.
- This organization is constantly striving to have broader reach in fighting hunger by addressing the root causes of hunger. The Greater Chicago Food Depository provides free cooking classes to help develop life skills and job opportunities, stays committed to the quality of food to provide healthy meals instead of snacks, and puts an emphasis on children to keep them more productive as they are our future.
- Food. Food is a necessity to survive and can create an unforgettable experience. As I continue to engage and grow my love for the food culture and industry booming across the country, I want to take some time to help those who aren’t able to experience a proper meal.
Please help me reach my goal of raising $3000 (or more!) by donating today!
Thank you so much for your time as your support means a mouthful to those in need :).
GREATER CHICAGO FOOD DEPOSITORY:
The Greater Chicago Food Despository is a nonprofit food distribution and training center that provides food for hungry people while striving to end hunger in the community.
The Food Depository, founded in 1979, makes a daily impact across Cook County with a network of 650 pantries, soup kitchens, shelters, mobile programs, children’s programs, older adult programs and innovative responses that address the root causes of hunger.
To learn more visit: www.chicagosfoodbank.org
HOW YOUR MONEY WILL BE SPENT:
After visiting the facility and meeting the staff, they confirmed that all donations will be used to purchase quality food for meals as the organization has stopped accepting snack/junk food and are providing healthier meals.
QUICK STATS ON HUNGER:
- 1 in 6 people in America face hunger.
- ”Food insecurity” refers to USDA's measure of lack of access, at times, to enough food for all household members
- Food insecurity exists in every county in America. In 2014, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) released its most recent report on food insecurity, indicating that 49 million people in the United States are living in food insecure households, 15.8 million of whom are children.
- 50.1 million Americans struggle to put food on the table.
- More than 1 in 5 children is at risk of hunger
- Over 20 million children receive free or reduced-price lunch each school day. Less than half of them get breakfast, and only 10% have access to summer feeding sites.
- 40% of food is thrown out in the US every year, or about $165 billion worth. All of this uneaten food could feed 25 million Americans.