love free via Crowdrise
October 05, 2011
BENEFITING: AVON PRODUCTS FOUNDATION INCORPORATED
EVENT DATE: Oct 29, 2011
The Avon Breast Cancer Crusade
The Avon Breast Cancer Crusade was launched in 1992 as a small pioneering program in the U.K. Avon in the U.S. adopted the Crusade the following year. Over the last 18 years, Avon philanthropy has raised and donated more than $700 million to breast cancer programs around the world, supporting cutting-edge research to find a cure for or prevent breast cancer as well as programs that enable all patients to access quality care.
Funding supports awareness and education: screening and diagnosis; access to treatment; support services; and scientific research. Beneficiaries of the Avon Breast Cancer Crusade range from leading cancer research and clinical centers to community-based, non-profit breast health education programs.
While we remain steadfast in our commitment to find a cure, we are proud to have supported tremendous progress over the last 18 years in research and care:
- Educated 105,000,000 women worldwide on breast health through community-based and grassroots outreach since 1992
- Linked 15,000,000 women worldwide to early detection programs and mammography screening
- Provided $175-million to breast cancer research projects since 1999, including most recently more than $25 million for 41 research projects focused on primary prevention, understanding the etiology and potential causes of breast cancer and developing a blood or saliva test for early detection
- Forged new collaborations among nonprofit groups, government and industry by the Avon Foundation hosting the first-ever Collaborative Summit on Breast Cancer
- Love/Avon Army of Women accelerates the pace of breast cancer prevention research by enlisting women - healthy women who have never had breast cancer and survivors - in this effort. Through 2010 the Army of Women has recruited 340,000 women, launched 35 research studies, and had more than 43,000 Army of Women members respond to requests for volunteers. Most studies utilizing the Army of Women resource are able to identify enough eligible volunteers within 48 hours to one week to fulfill their volunteer requirements and move the study forward.
A woman is diagnosed with breast cancer every three minutes in the United States and it remains the most commonly diagnosed form of cancer worldwide. You can help us save lives by getting involved.
DONATE HERE: http://www.avonfoundation.org/donate/