Fish-For-Noah Benefit Sportfishing Event
EVENT DATE: Sep 29, 2015
You are invited on a 3/4 day fishing trip aboard Fisherman III (H&M Landing, San Diego, CA) on Tuesday, September 29 to benefit 12 year old leukemia patient Noah Ludtke and his family, of San Marcos, CA. This event is being organized by neighbors who want to support the Ludtkes as Noah fights this disease.
The two Fisherman Fundraisers who raise the most in donations will win fishing trips courtesy of H&M Landing. Third place will win a Shakespeare Ugly Stick fishing rod. Cash Donors are also eligible to win prizes in a special drawing. Plus there are a slew of fantastic raffle prizes (see details further down) for anglers aboard the Fisherman III that day, with proceeds also going to the benefit.
Noah was diagnosed with Pre B ALL Leukemia in August and the chemotherapy treatments started right away. He is considered acute and high risk due to the fact that he is over 10, but is still in a good age group because he's under 16. He has a 3-year treatment plan. The first 6 months are the hardest with outpatient chemo IV treatments once a week or more. Once he's through that and hopefully goes into remission, he can return to school (hopefully by January) and life can return to some semblance of normalcy, though treatments will continue for three years.
There are all kinds of costs, financial and otherwise, associated with his return to health. For example, his home had to be specially modified and filtered to minimize the risk of infections - from installation of special air filters to reduce fungus, spores, etc., to home schooling and other special care. His mother has had to cut back on her work to provide care for Noah and his younger sisters since risk of infection is so much higher with his weakened immune system. So the costs are mounting while their income has taken a hit.
The registraiton fee for the trip is $100, with the expectation that registrants will fund raise an additional $200 in donations through the tools on www.crowdrise.com/fishingfornoah. We are trying to raise $6,500, with a stretch goal of $10,000 to help the family during the most difficult first six months of Noah's chemotherapy.
The fisherman who raises the most donations will win a 1.5 day fishing trip aboard Ranger 85 (good through 2016) courtesy of H&M Landing. Donations over $10 qualify the donor to be entered into a special Donor Prize Drawing. Plus, we have an on-board raffle with amazing prizes (see below). We'll also have some fun giveaways aboard the Fisherman III for first fish caught, first fish lost, etc.
All fishermen will receive an "I Fished For Noah" t-shirt and a one year subscription to Western Outdoor News (a $35 value courtesy of Western Outdoor New). .Each angler who generates at least $100 in donations will receive a beautifully embroidered hat from Pacific Coast Bait and Tackle (Oceanside, CA) - a $25 value. Fisherman III is a large boat (holds up to 59) but we are limiting the load to 40 anglers to make sure it's not too crowded. Registrants should be 18 or older, but 14+ for youth fishermen experience in fishing on a large party boat is acceptable.
Donation Achiever Prizes for Fishermen who secure the most cash donations under their name (event organizer and his family members are ineligible to win these prizes).
1st Place - 1.5 Day trip on Ranger 85 out of H&M Landing
2nd Place - 1/2 Day trip for two people on Premier out of H&M Landing
3rd Place - Shakespeare Ugly Stick Tiger Lite jigging/casting rod
Donor Prize Drawing
We have a Donor Prize Drawing. For every $25 in donations, donors will receive two entries in the drawing. For donations of $10 up to $24, donors will receive one entry. The donor drawing will be held aboard Fisherman III and winning donors will be notified within 24-36 hours.
- 3/4 Day trip for two aboard Malhini (Courtesy of H&M Landing)
- 1/2 Day trip for two people on Premier (Couretsy of H&M Landing)
- Case of fine wines
- Bottle of 2012 Darioush Cabernet Sauvignon (Courtesy of Epic Wines)
- Bottle of 2010 Parallel Cabernet Sauvignion (Courtesy of Epic Wines)
- Two $25 gift cards for Fratelli's Italian Kitchen, Oceanside, CA
- Two $25 gift cards for FroYo Love frozen yogurt
Silent Auction Aboard Ship
- Haro Calavera Sport 27.5 Mountain Bike, generously donated by Haro Bikes.
Raffle prizes including:
- 3/4 day fishing trip for two people aboard Malihini out of H&M Landing (good through 2016)
- 1/2 day fishing trip for two people aboard Premier out of H&M Landing (good through 2016)
- GoPro Session Camera
- Shakespeare Ugly Stick Tiger Lite jigging/casting fishing Rod
- Penn Battle II 2500 Spinning Reel
- Penn Fierce FRCII 5000 Spinning Reel
- Callaway Big Bertha Driver
- Callaway Pro Golf Bag
- Linksoul.com Gift Card $200 (new apparel company by John Ashworth)
- 30 minute Hoverboard at Aquatic Adventures
- Brad's Foreign and Domestic Automotive Gift Card $100
- Spy Sunglasses
- The Bellows Restaurant & Whisky Bar Gift Card $50 plus Fisherman's Variety Pak*
- Olympus Waterproof Binoculars plus Fisherman's Variety Pak
- Nattiya's Thai San Marcos Gift Card $40 plus H&M Landing T-shirt & Hat
- Brad's Foreign and Domestic Automotive Gift Card for Free Oil Service plus Fisherman's Variety Pak
*Fisheman’s Variety Pak consists of assorted line, bait, shirt or hat, etc
Money will be raised in five ways:
1) Each fisherman pays a $100 entry fee to secure a spot aboard Fisherman III. Assuming we have forty fishermen, a portion of the entry fee will be used to cover the cost of the boat and the rest will go to the family. We need 24 fishermen to breakeven on the boat. Fishermen are also responsible for the cost of any tackle rental, licenses, food/drink, fillet charges, tips, etc.
2) Each fisherman should raise $200 in pledges in addition to the entry fee. You may obtain these pledges from friends, family or colleagues. You also may donate the $200 pledge yourself (this qualifes you for the Donor Prize Drawing as well). When you register you will get a personalized link to your "fundraiser page" on www.crowdrise.com. Send this link out via email or post to social media like Facebook or Twitter. When donors use that link their donation is credited to your pledge goal. The fisherman who has raised the most money by the time we cast off will win the grand prize 1.5 day sport fishing trip onboard the Ranger 85, courtesy of the kind folks at H&M Landing.
3) On-board raffle (for fisherman only). We have a bunch of great prizes for this raffle, and great odds of winning something. Raffle tickets cost $5 each or 5 tickets for $20, 20 tickets for $60 and 40 tickets for $100. You may purchase as many tickets as you like.
4) Haro Mountain Bike Silent Auction. We are auctioning off a Haro Calavera Sport 27.5 Mountain Bike worth $500, courtesy of Haro Bikes. Fishermen onboard may bid on the bike via silent auction during the outing. Bids will close at 4:30 p.m. This acitivity requires being present onboard the boat on Sept. 29.
5) Jackpot share. We will have a $10 Jackpot for the biggest (heaviest) fish caught. Half the jackpot will go to the fisherman who caught it and half will go to the benefit. Participation in the jackpot is optional.
Here is the FAQ link to H&M landing - http://www.hmlanding.com/faqs. They are located at 2803 Emerson Street, San Diego, California 92106. Their phone number is 619-222-1144.
Where Can I Park? There is parking available in two public parking lots near H&M Landing. The lot directly in front of the Landing at Emerson and Scott Street is $8 per 24-hour period. Another lot is available across North Harbor Drive next to the hotel (directly across the street from Jimmy's Famous American Tavern at 789 W. Harbor Dr,). That lot was free last weekend, though H&M's page says it costs $8 so that may have been a temporary situation. In case both lots are full, street parking is available but please read parking signs carefully for any time limitations.
Where and when do we depart? The Fisherman III will depart from H&M Landing on Tuesday, September 29 at 5:30 a.m. and be back at approximately 5:30 p.m. that evening. Go to www.hmlanding.com for more information. You need to be at H&M Landing by 5 a.m. to check in with the Chartermaster for this trip. You should add 10 minutes to park and walk over to the Check-in Window area.
What does the $100 entry fee cover? The entry fee covers the cost of your spot on the boat. Each Fisherman will need to pay for the cost of visa (if we fish in Mexican waters), one day Mexican and/or US fishing licenses (if you don't have an annual already), tackle rental (if needed), fillet charges and crew tip. Go to www.hmlanding.com for more information.
How much cash should I bring? Please make sure to have sufficient cash to pay for raffle tickets (see costs of tickets below), plus any tackle rental, visas, licenses, tips, fillet charges. Typically, this would be between $100 and $200 but will vary depending on how many raffle tickets you plan to purchase, how many fish you catch, etc. In other words, come prepared!
How Will The Money Be Used? Noah has been responding well to chemotherapy and his family is optimistic that he will beat this disease. Due to the chemo, Noah's immune system is very weak so Noah's mother, Shannon, has had to cut back on work hours to care for him and his two younger siblings. What with that and the medical costs, the financial burden is piling up. This money will help offset some of this until Noah can return to school, hopefully in six months.
Who is eligible for the Grand Prize 1.5 Day Fishing Trip? All registered fisherman are eligible, even if for some reason they cannot make the fishing trip that day. Prize will be awarded to the person who has generated the most in donations on this site at the time we cast off. Event organizer/chartermaster and his family members are ineligible for this prize.
Who is eligible for the Donor Prize Drawing? Anyone who makes a cash donation (registration fee does not count) with the exception of the event organizer and his family members. Fishermen who donate cash are eligible for this drawing.
How much are raffle tickets and how many can I buy? Raffle tickets cost $5 each or 5 tickets for $20, 20 tickets for $60 and 40 tickets for $100 and any registered fisherman onboard Fisherman III that day can buy as many tickets as they want. You must be aboard ship to purchase raffle tickets. The Haro Mountain Bike is NOT part of the raffle prize pool.
Will I need a passport? What other charges? No passports are necessary. Just a photo ID is required. A fishing rod rental will cost $17.00 if you need one (a $100 deposit is required). The license will be either a California for $15.12 or a Mexican permit for $12.00 (possibly both but unlikely). Plan on $5 per fish if you want it filleted. $10-15 tip for the crew depending on how much help you need (novices should let them know you will be needing help so they can keep an eye on you).
Awards, drawing and raffle prizes subject to change by Organizer. For more information contact the event organizer through this web site.