O HawaH via Crowdrise
May 30, 2011
***Anyone who donates $33 will receive a Free E-book version of my upcoming book called, "The Poetry of Yoga," being released in fall this year***
This summer One Common Unity (OCU) is launching the Fly By Light youth program!
HERE'S THE STORY:
Studies show that 80% of an average American's life will be spent indoors! Have you ever experienced the great outdoors? Don't you wish everyone could have that feeling (especially inner-city kids that never get out of the concrete jungle?....
Fly By Light, climaxes from July 25-August 1, when 24-30 inner-city high school students travel to the mountains of West Virginia for a life transforming experience. In order to create a collaborative learning environment for every participant, we are bringing together youth who come from broken homes and have a history of poor school performance with teens who are excelling in school and have no history of violent behavior. All the youth who participate will experience a safe space for dialogue, self-discovery and self-expression.
The program integrates workshops on leadership, nonviolent communication, conflict resolution, personal growth, health and wellness, and music therapy. In addition, youth will have sweat lodge ceremonies, drum circles, movement classes and group dialogue sessions. This highly transformational experience will leave youth with:
• An appreciation and love for nature
• Social-emotional skills that increase happiness
• An ability and desire to handle conflicts nonviolently
• An understanding of music and art as tools for self-expression and cultural change
• An ability to critically engage with their environment and people of different racial, ethnic, socio-economic and cultural perspectives
• Increased feelings of self-confidence, value, worth, and empowerment
• A personal set of life goals
• Positive relationships with peers, artists, educators and counselors that last a lifetime
We need your help to make this youth program happen!!!
The pilot program will cost an initial $25,000 to launch, which includes: class facilitation, renting of the venues, accommodations, transportation, curriculum development, books and art supplies, insurance, evaluations, food, outreach for youth, initial production costs for the documentary film and stipends for peace educators.
I am committed to raising 3,333.00 through my network.
Help me reach my goal!
Sponsor A Youth!
By giving $700 you will give one youth the chance to attend this retreat.
By giving $360 you will pay for four days of the retreat for one student.
By giving $90 you will pay for one day of the retreat for one student.
Or, give from your heart as you’re able, and we will put it to good use for the students!