Steve Ma via Crowdrise
June 02, 2011
ONE COMMON UNITY wrote -
This summer One Common Unity (OCU) is launching its new youth program, Fly By Light, which climaxes from July 25-August 1, when the 24-30 inner-city high school students travel to the mountains of West Virginia for a life transforming experience. In order to create a collaborative learning environment for every participant, we are bringing together youth who come from broken homes and have a history of poor school performance with teens who are excelling in school and have no history of violent behavior. All the youth who participate will experience a safe space for dialogue, self-discovery and self-expression, carefully crafted by OCU’s highly skilled facilitators.
The program integrates workshops on leadership, nonviolent communication, conflict resolution, personal growth, health and wellness, and music therapy. Participants will go home with a group-created music CD and visual art creation, as well as be featured in a documentary film created around their experience with One Common Unity. In addition to the main programming and artistic creation process, youth will have sweat lodge ceremonies, drum circles, movement classes and group dialogue sessions. This highly transformational experience will leave youth with:
• An appreciation and love for nature
• Social-emotional skills that increase happiness
• An ability and desire to handle conflicts nonviolently
• An understanding of music and art as tools for self-expression and cultural change
• An ability to critically engage with their environment and people of different racial, ethnic, socio-economic and cultural perspectives
• Increased feelings of self-confidence, value, worth, and empowerment
• A personal set of life goals
• Positive relationships with peers, artists, educators and counselors that last a lifetime
OCU needs your help to make this retreat a reality!
The pilot program will cost an initial $25,000 to launch, which includes: class facilitation, renting of the venues, accommodations, transportation, curriculum development, books and art supplies, insurance, evaluations, food, outreach for youth, initial production costs for the documentary film and stipends for peace educators.
Sponsor A Youth!
By giving $700 you will give one youth the chance to attend this retreat.
By giving $360 you will pay for four days of the retreat for one student.
By giving $90 you will pay for one day of the retreat for one student.
Or, give from your heart as you’re able, and we will put it to good use for the students!