Suzette Gardner via Crowdrise
May 25, 2011
ONE COMMON UNITY wrote -
This summer One Common Unity (OCU) is launching the Fly By Light youth retreat program, planned from July 25 - August 1, taking 24-30 inner-city D.C. high school students into the mountains of West Virginia for a life transforming experience. In order to create a collaborative learning environment for every participant, we are seeking a diverse group of youth. The retreat will bring together teens who have poor school performance and behavioral issues with teens who are excelling in school and have no history of violent behavior. These youth will experience a safe space for dialogue, self-discovery and self-expression, carefully crafted by OCU’s highly skilled facilitators.
The eight day/seven night retreat integrates workshops on leadership development, effective communication, conflict resolution, personal development, health and wellness, and music therapy. Participants will go home with a group-created music CD and visual art creation, as well as be featured in a documentary film created around their experience with One Common Unity. In addition to the main programming and artistic creation process, youth will have the opportunity to engage in sweat lodge ceremonies, drum circles, movement classes and talking circles. This highly transformational experience will equip youth with:
• An experience of and appreciation for nature
• Social-emotional skills that increase their likelihood of being happy in life
• An ability and desire to handle conflicts nonviolently
• An understanding of music and art as tools for self-expression and cultural change
• An ability to critically engage with their environment and people of different racial, ethnic, socio-economic and cultural perspectives
• Positive relationships with peers, artists, educators and counselors that continue after the retreat
• A feeling of self-confidence, value, worth, and empowerment
• A personal set of life goals
OCU needs your help to make this retreat a reality!
The pilot project will cost an initial $25,000 to launch, which includes: renting of the retreat venue, accommodations, transportation, curriculum development, books and art supplies, insurance, evaluations, food, outreach for youth, production costs for the documentary film and stipends for peace educators.
Be a Youth Sponsor !
By giving $700 you will give one youth the chance to attend this retreat.
By giving $360 you will pay for four days of the retreat for one student.
By giving $90 you will pay for one day of the retreat for one student.
Or, give from your heart as you’re able, and we will put it to good use for the students!
When you sponsor a youth you are giving them the chance to transform their life and thrive in the future.