symposio via Crowdrise
October 07, 2012
BENEFITING: The Prem Rawat Foundation
The Prem Rawat Foundation (TPRF) Food For People Program
A little over five years ago, the doors opened to TPRF’s first Food for People facility, located in a tribal area of northeast India in the state of Jharkhand, near the village of Bantoli.
Since then another two facilities have opened - in Nepal in 2009 and in Ghana in 2012.
The innovative vision for the Food for People model is simple:
• Provide a daily nutritious meal in the local cuisine for children and ailing adults
• Design the program with community leaders and adjust it to changing needs
• Include hygiene education to help stem the spread of disease
• Expose children to the broader world through educational TV
• Hire local villagers to help run the facility
• Grow and purchase food locally
• Provide education in more productive agricultural methods
Within five years an amazing story has unfolded:
• Once-undernourished children are seen skipping to FFP with smiles and giggles before heading off to school
• Adults have regained health and are working productively
• School enrollment and attendance has grown dramatically
• Teachers are thrilled that students are capable of listening and learning
• Young students are envisioning how they could help their villages by continuing on in school to learn new skills
• A sense of shared pride and hope is building in the community
The Mayor of the District in Ghana, Honorable John Kwao Sackey, said, “I am overwhelmingly impressed that a philanthropic institution like yours and a great philanthropist like Prem Rawat have been able to help provide food to school children and the aged in Otinibi. There is no doubt that this facility will impact positively on the life of the school children.”
For more information about the Food for People program, visit the TPRF page here -
You can watch a video about the program here.