The Foundation for Education and Development (FED) was founded in 2000 in Sankalaburi, Kanchanaburi province under the name Grassroots Human Rights Education & Development (GHRE). Soon after the 2004 Tsunami the organization relocated to Phang Nga province to offer emergency assistance to Tsunami-affected Burmese migrants whose needs had been largely ignored by the Thai government and NGO’s. Since then FED has been addressing the long term needs of marginalized Burmese migrant workers and their families, working towards building trust among the disaffected Burmese community. Our staff members work very closely with several Burmese communities living in rubber plantations or fisheries so we never lose sight of issues that are directly affecting them on a day-to-day basis. Our staff members are predominately of Burmese origin and have come to Thailand through similar circumstances, this has enable FED to reach the migrant population on a more personal and intimate level, something larger NGOs are able to do.
- We aim to achieve our mission statement by carrying out the following 7 objectives:
- Provide education to the children of Burmese migrant workers in southern Thailand.
- Promoting job opportunities and foster a safe and lawful environment for Burmese migrant workers in Southern Thailand.
- Provide migrant children with a safe and happy environment.
- Build bridges between Thai and Burmese communities.
- Bring justice and social security to Burmese migrant workers in Southern Thailand.
- Educate Burmese migrant communities on Human Rights, Economic, Social and Culture Rights.
- Empower Burmese migrant women to improve their situation.