Please help me fund raise for a worthy cause! As a member of the Friends of the Children - NY ("Friends NY") Young Professionals Board, I have seen first hand how the personal service and guidance Friends NY provides has a direct effect on the trajectory of young lives. I believe in Friends NY because in my own life I have continuously benefited from the guidance and encouragement from mentors. Often all that is needed to get one step closer to success is someone who is willing to remind you that greatness is even a possibility. That is what the mentors from Friends NY do. They speak life into the lives of at risk youth and motivate them to dream beyond what their eyes can see. And then they actually help them acquire that dream. As a result of their efforts, in June 99% of their high school seniors successfully graduated high school.
Below is a brief overview of the amazing work Friends of NY does to end the cycle of poverty in under-served communities. You can learn more about the organization at: http://friendsnewyork.org/.
Friends of the Children New York is dedicated to breaking the cycle of generational poverty through meaningful long-term mentoring. They select the highest-risk children and commit to working with those children from kindergarten to graduation in Harlem and the South Bronc. 12 years - no matter what.
What Makes Friends NY Unique:
Upon joining the program, each child is paired with a professional mentor who spends a minimum of 14 hours per month with the children they serve. Friends NY uses a unique method which caters to high needs populations in the following ways:
- Early Intervention - Mentorship begins in Kindergarten.
- Long term Commitment - Mentorship continues until high school graduation. No matter what!
- Mentors are Full-time Employees - Having full-time employees all of whom have a bachelor's degree and at least two years work experience, ensures the quality, consistency and commitment needed.
- Academic Intervention - Mentors spend time in the classroom to get a full understanding of the academic strengths and weaknesses.
- Advocacy - Mentors work on behalf of their mentees to navigate the complex and bureaucratic New York City School System.
- Social & Emotional Support - Mentors foster and assess the social and emotional progress of their mentees.
The Bowl-A-Thon is the Friends of the Children NY Young Professionals Board’s largest fundraising event. The funds of the event will go directly towards supporting the efforts of a fascinating and greatly needed organization. Friends of the Children does not give up on these kids. Neither should we!
Please take the time to support this worthy cause today! Every dollar counts!