Alison & Joe - via Crowdrise
July 27, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to check out our webpage. We are very excited - not just to be sharing another race together - but to take the time to raise awareness of, and money for, a very worthy cause.
The Somaly Mam Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the eradication of slavery worldwide, with a special focus on Southeast Asia, where the trafficking of women and girls is widespread. SMF supports survivor rescue, shelter and restoration programs globally, as well as empowering survivors of slavery with job training and education. In addition, SMF’s awareness and advocacy campaigns shed light on the crime of human trafficking and involve governments and individuals in the fight against modern-day slavery.
Through the Somaly Mam Foundation's newest program, PROJECT FUTURES global, volunteers can take action in the fight against sex trafficking by planning events and campaigns in their communities and raise awareness and funds for the cause. PROJECT FUTURES global empowers a generation to shape their world into one where women and children are safe from slavery.
So in an effort to create awareness and truly change another human’s life, to give them a chance at freedom, a chance to walk their own path, we will be running the Hamptons Marathon & Half - Marathon on September 24th, 2011 (Alison will run the full, Joe will run the half). We would love to see you all at the finish line, but even better, we would love for you to join us in our efforts to help SMF.
Any donation amount is welcome. Even a relatively small donation can have a large impact on another human’s life.
How your donation can change a life:
1. $ 500 gives the power to rebuild. This donation provides a survivor with everything she needs to start her own business, including all supplies and materials.
2. $ 360 or about $1.00 a day will help keep rescued girls safe from violent perpetrators. It covers the shelter's security fees per girl, per year. Shelters are under constant threat from the organized crime syndicates that run the brothels and pimps who wish to harm and re-enslave the rescued girls. Your donation will allow girls to rebuild their strength and determination in a secure, loving environment.
3. $ 120 pays for a year provides psychological counseling and rehabilitation to a girl at a shelter in Southeast Asia. Removing a child from a brothel is not a solution in and of itself-your donation will provide the support survivors need to embark on the long and painful journey ahead.
4. $ 120 helps provide a survivor with a year of specialized training in weaving, sewing, salon or other vocational skills that will help her get a job and stay employed.
5. $ 60 pays for a year of ongoing pediatric or medical care for a young survivor of sexual slavery.
6. $ 30 provides an exam and blood test for a girl rescued from sexual slavery in Southeast Asia.
Alison & Joe
Somaly Mam Foundation wrote -
PROJECT FUTURES global, a program of the Somaly Mam Foundation, empowers a passionate network of socially-engaged volunteers, activists, and young professionals to raise awareness and funding to combat human trafficking and sex slavery worldwide.
Are you running a race, doing a bike ride, or taking action for the cause in other ways?
Join the team and take action: ride/run/walk for a survivor!
Learn more about members of Voices for Change here.
Take action and join the movement.