Crystal Chivers wrote -Fragile X of Central Arkansas is proud to support the National Fragile X Foundation’s “Let ‘Em Know 5K” event with the creation of our own fundraising team! We hope you will join us to raise awareness and money for Fragile X!
Ways you can get involved:
1. Join our team! Click the “Join our team” option and help us reach our fundraising goal!
2. Create a team as part of our (Insert Group Name)!! Help (Insert Group Name) reach more people and raise more awareness by being a part of our team! We’d love to see a team created in the honor of someone you love with Fragile X as part of our efforts!
3. Donate! We can’t meet our goals without your donations! $5, $15, $25, $100 – any amount, it all makes a huge difference and puts us closer to meeting our fundraising goal!
4. Register to participate in the virtual event! For your $25 registration fee (by June 11) you will receive your official Let ‘Em Know Dri-fit race shirt and race bib! (Please note, registration is separate from the donation.)
5. Spread the word!! Share our post with your family and friends through email, Facebook, Twitter and other social media outlets!
What is Fragile X?
Fragile X is a family of fragile x associated disorders:
Fragile X syndrome (FXS) — The most common cause of inherited intellectual disability and the most common known genetic cause of autism. Individuals with FXS can experience developmental delays ranging from mild to severe.
Fragile X-associated tremor/ataxia syndrome (FXTAS) — An adult onset (over 50) neurological disorder causing tremors and changes to balance, memory, mood and intellect.
Fragile X-associated primary ovarian insufficiency (FXPOI) — A condition that causes irregular menstrual cycles, infertility and premature menopause in females of reproductive age.
Fragile X-associated Disorders can be passed on by carriers of the FMR1 gene mutation who have no apparent signs of an FXD. In some families a number of individuals may be affected, while in other families a diagnosed individual may be the only known family member to exhibit symptoms. Also, in some families, only carriers are identified and there are no apparently affected family members.
What is a Virtual 5K?
Basically, it means you can complete it anywhere, anytime beginning July 1 and ending on July 31, 2014. You can run or walk the 3.1 miles (5K) all at once, over the course of a week or the entire month. This is on the honor system—you do not have to report or verify your miles!
Where can you learn more?
From the National Fragile X Foundation’s Website! www.fragilex.org
We hope you will join us and support our team!