BENEFITING: Brothers and Sisters in Community Service
EVENT DATE: Jun 24, 2016
For every donation made from 6/17/16-7/9/16, we receive a matching donation (up to $10,000) from our generous donor who wishes to be anonymous.
Answer the call – make this match!!
Our volunteers build the framework for community in one of the poorest areas of Tijuana. Volunteers go on a week long mission to build homes and learn about the struggles of the local poverty.
For 12 years, we've built over 25 homes in the Tijuana neighborhood of Terrazas. This year, the Tijuana construction projects include 5 house structures for families in desperate need. While the participants pay for their travel and lodging, we are fundraising for construction material costs. To give you an idea of our needs:
- $25 - Half a Window
- $50 - A 3ft x2ft Slider Window
- $100 - An Exterior Door with Hardware & Keys
- $200 - A 8ft x 8ft Exterior Wall - Studs, Wood siding, Paint
- $500 - Electricity - Wiring, Panel, Lights, Outlets
- $1000 - 32ft x 16ft Concrete Slab Foundation
- $2,500 - Roof with 17 prefabricated wood trusses
- $6,500 - Entire New Home for a Family in Desparate Need
The mother’s program is aimed at building relationships and community. Many of the families in this Tijuana community are from diverse places, and may not know each other well. The mother’s program was developed to help build a sense of community among the mothers. In addition to craft projects, the mother’s program also provided some lessons on hygiene, nutrition, finance, and relationships.
- Donations will go toward care packages for local mothers in Tijuana. In the past these have included food items, hygienic products like toothbrushes, shampoo, crafting tools, and household items.
The children’s program in centered on providing children in the area with safe, fun activities, as well as some educational content and catechism. We also provided the children with a snack each day, and some donated toys at the end of the week. Over 200 children attended last year's week long camp.
- Donations will go toward 200 brown bag lunches for 200 local Tijuana children. This item includes 200 PB&J sandwiches (some variants) 200 Capri Suns, 200 CCCs, and 200 apples. We provide lunches for the local children 4 days of the week. **CCCs: Chocolate Chip Cookies!
This programs is provided for local teens who spend much of their day tending to their younger siblings as their parents work. We provide activities and teach craft ideas that the families can sell at the local outdoor markets.
- Donations will go toward arts and crafts for 200 local youths of Tijuana. Volunteers organize a children's program for them twice a day for 4 days.
We learn about local conditions and interact and gain understanding of the local residents. As part of this, we visited various sites like the memorial at the US/Mexican Border; and Casa del Migrante, a homeless shelter for migrants and recently deported men; an AIDS hospice; and a school for special needs children that we help finish so they could open; and the local clinic. We also attend hosted discussions with local families.
Thank you in advanced for your generous support for our program! Your donation will make a difference!