Sheila Hart-Owens via Crowdrise
December 14, 2012
The primary purpose of this field placement is for the students, in conjunction with Links Across Borders, to launch a Love to Read foundation in the Volta region of Ghana. There is a great shortage of books in this area, and as a result few children have access to the joy and opportunity for learning that reading brings. By setting up this foundation, this gives the chance for them to expand their world, imagination, and experiences, a chance that they may otherwise never get. As part of the field placement, we will also have the opportunity to:
• Build schools and sanitary facilities in different areas of the country
• Work as teachers and teaching assistants within schools, both with classes and one-on-one
• Work with Ghanaians working in community projects; gain an international perspective on what we are currently learning in the AWCCA program
• Focus on other areas of health and education in different regions
• Gain exposure and experience from a once in a lifetime opportunity
This will expand our educational experience by giving us a global perspective and provide new understanding and tools, which we will in turn bring to our work as future counselors and social service workers. The cost of the placement is $3500.00 per student; this covers our return flight, ground transportation, accommodation, entrance fees and food while in Ghana. Although not a mandatory excursion, this is a great opportunity that many students will likely not get to experience again. It is going to be difficult for many students to afford a trip of this magnitude, myself included. So I am asking for your support in my international field placement. Any donation you are willing to contribute would be greatly appreciated. Our small group will be working hard until we leave in May to raise funds for this trip.
Thank you in advance for your interest and support.