BENEFITING: Young African MBAs Incorporated
Young African MBAs (YAM) is a first-mover and one of the fastest growing organizations of its kind on a mission to shift the paradigm in management talent on the African continent. Founded in 2012 by four MBA alumni of some of the world’s most prestigious business schools, YAM offers a comprehensive suite of products and services across the Africa-focused recruiting value chain, all in a bid to deliver the best in management talent to the African continent. The organization was initially geared toward MBA holders, but it has evolved and now YAM has expanded its membership to 2000 professionals spread across the globe some of whom are neither Young, African, nor MBAs. Our management team now consists of 20 working class professionals. Some milestones over the past 3 years of our existence have been:
MBAs: Established relations with top business schools and Africa Business Clubs
- engaged over 25 business schools on various relevant activities
- assisted over 60 prospective students to gain admission into top business schools
- held pre-MBA cohort events to build communities, support networks for prospective students,
- supported HBS, Wharton, NYU, Columbia, Kellogg, MIT with Africa Business Conferences
- outreach from Duke, Carnegie Mellon, LBS to support their Africa business efforts
Recruiting: Gain exposure to various companies, job types, industries and people
- sponsorship to hold recruiting event with BCG in Nigeria
- provide YAM members with access to recruiters and key business decision makers, sourcing employees for companies such as Jumia in Lagos, Deloitte Africa, and Standard Bank
- recruiting efforts to support PwC Africa effort in New York
- matched over 40 employees annually for jobs published through YAM newsletter
Networking: Networking opportunities for YAM members to interact with business leaders
- held networking events in New York, Houston, Chicago, Boston, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Lagos
- business leaders from AFC, PwC, BCG, Bank of America, IRokoTV, Intel Capital, entrepreneur, politicians, and educators have spoken to YAM contingent in various networking event settings
Social Impact: YAM charities launched to provide social impact to African Communities
- organized team of volunteers that raised over $2,000 for UNICEF Ebola Response
- partnered with NGO MedShare at Ebola relief supplies packaging facility in New Jersey
- media sponsorship with Applause Africa to provide content for their online/offline magazines, bringing awareness to Key African issues
- received 2015 Applause Africa "Organizational Impact Award"
YAM has made great strides through various programs and offerings and plan to make even greater strides in the coming months. In order to evolve to the next level and enhance our value proposition, we need to enhance our IT platform. An enhanced IT platform will allow members to create dynamic user profiles, improve our data analytics, and enable us to deliver our offerings more effectively. Accordingly, YAM has set a goal of $10,000 for #GivingTuesday this year! Your financial support will directly influence the success of our programs in the future and further YAM’s mission to help bridge the gap in management talent on the African continent. As YAM is an organization entirely run by unpaid volunteers, 100% of your donation will be devoted to building our IT platform and operations. We are counting on your generosity this #GivingTuesday and invite you to collaborate with us on our mission to bridge the management talent gap on the African continent.
Please DONATE TODAY. YAM is a 501 (c) (3) charitable non-profit organization. Your gift is eligible as a tax deductible donation!