UPDATE! Though we didn't quite reach our fundraising goal, we committed to sending 29 students back to school this year and paid their first tuition installment in hopes that we'll be able to have enough to pay their remaining costs when they arise. The next payment is due in December
I've lived in Haiti nearly 4 years, and every year, I've paid for several kids to go to school. Why? It's the easiest and most effective way ANYONE can make an impact in Haiti. Every child in Haiti wants to go to school, but parents often have to choose between feeding their children or sending them to school.
That's why I support the GOALS Dream Team scholarship fund, and that's why you should too.
Here's a few things which make GOALS different (and awesome!):
1. While we wish all children in Haiti could attend school, we've committed to selecting the children with the greatest need, the strongest leadership potential and a proven dedication to working hard and making changes every day. Meet them here.
2. As an organization, we're dedicated to using funds wisely for the greatest impact.. We didn't even have an office for the first 3 1/2 years - we worked outside and ran for cover when it rained. You might say we're cheap. I say, we're "financially conservative", in other words, effective.
3. A GOALS scholarship is not actually a gift. First off, the kids work hard just to be eligible for a scholarship, then they work hard to keep it. Along with getting good grades, GOALS regularly meets with school staff to monitor their behavior and attendance. Second, students give back through service and leadership projects. For example they may lead recycling projects or beach clean-ups.
4. We're committed not just to sending kids to school, but to seeing them graduate. To be clear: our goal is not simply to send kids to school. Our goal is to build a generation of strong, capable, inspired and inspiring leaders who will create change in Haiti, starting in their own lives and within their own communities. Yes, it's as lofty, awesome, and possible as it sounds.
5. I work for GOALS and that MAKES it awesome!
Not sure how much to give? Here's a rough breakdown of costs:
$35 - School uniform
$50 - Books for the year
$75 - Bicycle for kids in rural areas
$125 - Transportation for the year (some kids can't ride bikes)
$350 - Tuition for the year
Costs vary by grade level and where they live. Some kids live miles from a paved road, and can't walk or bike on the muddy paths or cross the river when it rains.
Want to give even more? If we exceed our goals, extra funds will be used for:
- Solar lights: With no electricity, students cannot study at night. Solar lights will allow kids to do their homework after the sun goes down.
- Service projects: Extra funds can be used to support youth-led community service projects, such as soccer days for kids living in tent communities, transportation costs for helping out at orphanages, etc.
- Transportation: Going to and from school is challenging for many students. Some kids can ride bikes, and a few can catch a public bus. Some have to take private motorcycle taxis. Each of these has a cost.
- Extra scholarships: If we exceed our fundraising goal, we'll be able to send even more kids to school! That would be awesome!
Got a question? Email me: email@example.com
PS You can meet our kids here!