Wondering what else to do this summer?
While you are thinking about the beach, some sun, a concert, or an escape from everyday, how about sponsoring a student whose dream is to graduate?
Please. The GOALS' Dream Team needs your help.
This grassroots organization in Haiti seeks to develop tomorrow's leaders by targeting promising youth in rural Leogane, the epicenter of the 2010 earthquake. GOALS aims to promote education, aspirations, health and play in a place that continues to survive beyond aftershocks, Cholera, and intractable problems.
Why give? Because this little organization has impact. Because the organizers are incredible and dedicated, and because of the kids! Your donation makes a difference to their lives and their families, and in this small but critical way, you are making a difference on the ground in Haiti. You are giving children hope. You are giving them a place to go -- to school and to activities like soccer where they learn the values of team-playing for solving problems. You are helping motivated individuals dream and follow their goals.
- Select motivated young adults who demonstrate exceptional leadership skills and offer them opportunities to excel
- Graduate students who are capable of identifying local problems and creating solutions to improve quality of life in their communities
- Increase access to education and provide new opportunities young leaders in rural Haiti
The Dream Team scholarship program focuses intensively on a select number of participants who have demonstrated exceptional leadership and commitment to their communities within GOALS’ youth development programs. The scholarship helps them complete high school and prepare for future studies and careers.
Why is high school graduation critical?
- Only 52.9% of adults in Haiti are literate
- Secondary school enrolment is 19%, and even low school fees are unaffordable for families in rural communities
- High school graduates have better health, increased future earnings, and healthier families as adults
Dream Team members are selected through a rigorous application process. Scholarships are awarded based on academic merit, commitment to local development, demonstrated leadership skills, and financial need
In exchange for scholarships, Dream Team members perform extra service projects. To maintain Dream Team membership, scholarship recipients are required to maintain high grades, participate fully in all local GOALS activities, and contribute extra hours of service to their community. Dream Team students meet regularly with GOALS staff to check in about their lives. In addition, GOALS staff meet monthly with our partner schools to check on students’ work and attendance records, and review any concerns or questions that arise.
Meet some of Dream Team's motivated students here.
In 2010, GOALS awarded 10 scholarships to its inaugural Dream Team class.
In 2011, Jovan Julien raised over $10,000, and GOALS awarded 23 scholarships to the Dream Team. In 2012, The Child Survival Fund granted $12,250 to fund 28 scholarships, allowing the Dream Team to continue to grow.
This was the last year of support from the Child Survival Fund so this year, our grassroots supporters are more critical than ever to help fund our school program.
The Dream Team is managed by Leogane Coordinators Emilio Jean Paul and Jean Kendy Estimphil
- $25 provides healthy meals for one student for a week
- $55 provides resources to plant and care for a vegetable garden
- $100 outfits a classroom with supplies
- $350 Sponsors a Dream Team Scholarship
(This donation is tax deductible for US donors.)
Thank you for reading and caring, Liza