When considering making the NYC Triathlon on July 14th my first triathlon in about 10 years, I had quite a few things to think about ...
1) Can I do it? Am I too old, fat and lazy!
2) Can I afford it? This past year hasn't been my best financially.
3) Do I have time to do the workouts? I should be generating income after all.
4) What am I committed to? ... a question that ultimately provided me much more direction than all the above combined!!
When answering the fourth question, I came across the Grassroots Soccer fundraiser. Having recenty returned from living in Cape Town and even having seen the work and dedication of the Grassroots people in Cape Town, I had my answer. What Grassroots Soccer provides to the children in the townships is really a lifeline, oxygen. These children literally live for the joy and emancipation these programs give them on a daily basis.
My 8 year old son Mattie is a soccer fanatic and hopes to one day be on a soccer team (soon?). It remains his connection to South Africa and to what he considers his magical homeland.
So together we took this on... the whole thing. The workouts, the time commitment, the money commitment (wetsuit, bike tune up, entry fees), and also the benefit of getting fit together and me losing a few pounds!!
PLEASE JOIN US IN OUR MISSION TO SEND AT LEAST $1000 TO GRASSROOTS SOCCER IN SOUTH AFRICA.
GRASSROOT SOCCER wrote -
This is our first year as an Official Charity Partner of the NYC Triathlon! We are honored to be a part of this great race and have so many wonderful athletes joining us to fight HIV and AIDS.
Grassroot Soccer (GRS) has graduated over 500,000 youth through our HIV/AIDS education program. GRS is moving forward with the official goal of reaching 1 million youth educated and empowered by World Cup 2014.
Our Triathletes are key to helping us reach the 1 million by 2014 goal. With every step, every hour spent training, every contribution they secure we are getting closer to an HIV-free generation!
Help save lives by joining the Triathlon Team or contributing to your favorite triathlete:
- Click on the Donate Button of this page to support the Team, or click on "Join the Team" to help raise funds.
- Donations can also be made offline by mailing a personal check. Checks can be mailed to: Grassroot Soccer, PO Box 712, Norwich, VT 05055. All offline donations will be added to the online page of the honoree to reflect the full total.