Skip to content

Pro-Bone-O. For pets with a Gruff life

Organized by: Sondra Caleb Gillean

Sondra's Photo
Sondra's Photo
Sondra's Photo
Sondra's Photo
Sondra's Photo


It all started on a cold snowy day. My husband and I, sick of the Michigan weather and wanting to live closer to his Mom, had decided to take the big leap and move to North Carolina. I quit my job and started selling off our furniture to lighten the load of the move.

We needed some supplies so we loaded up our minivan and braved the March cold. (I mentioned we lived in Michigan right?) We were headed down a busy road when a snow pile started running across the road in front of our van! Hubby slammed on the breaks and swerved onto the shoulder. Wait! Snow piles can't run! It was a tiny, shivering, timid, smelly, filthy, icy, 5 pound, matted down dog! I jumped out of the van and he ran up to me with the biggest puppy dog eyes you could imagine. I immediately snatched him up and we were off to a safer place to think.

After further investigation we spotted a collar under the matted fur. It had a phone number! We, without thinking, called the number to tell them the wonderful news of finding their pooch. Unfortunately the "owners" (if they even deserved to be called that) didn't want this adorable sweet dog back. With no jobs and no money to our names we had no idea how to help the sweet little guy.

We took him home, gave him a bath, cut his mats out, and called him Gruff. Gruff was terrified of men. He would cower and hide behind me whenever one entered the room. From the moment I picked him up off of the road he refused to leave my side.

My heart is bigger than my wallet so I immediately made an appointment at our local vet. After a night's sleep I realized there was no way I could pay for a vet appointment. I called back to cancel it, "Your call cannot be completed as dialed." I tried again, same thing, and again, and again. I tried Hubby's phone, same thing. I called my Mom to see if it was my phone, she answered, I vented, she said it was a sign, and to take him to the vet. She was right.

I sold off a few more things (did I mention I like to sell stuff?) to pay for his first visit. At the vet we discovered he had been severely neglected and beaten. The cost to get him healthy exceeded the staggering sum of $800! After sharing his story we were encouraged by our friends and family to start a fundraiser. We did and we were able to raise enough money for Gruff in just a few short days! There are truly some amazing people in this world!

We had decided to get Gruff healthy before trying to find him a home, a process that would take months at least. We had no choice but to fall in love with the little guy in that time. After his medications, surgery, nurturing, and lots of love he became a perfect part of our family.

But what about other families with sick pets? Do they put them down or file bankruptcy to keep them alive? This inspired my idea to stay in Michigan and open a thrift store that will help families in need of veterinary care who can’t afford it. We call it Pro-Bone-O Boutique! Right now we are just booth #43 in Estate Sales Warehouse in Holland, but we hope to one day be a large thrift store in Zeeland! But we need your help! There are thousands of pets that need help NOW! Anything and everything will help. Share the story with your friends. If you can't donate, they may be able to. Help us keep pets and their people together, longer.

Thank you!

Sondra and Caleb Gillean

The Founders of Pro-Bone-O Boutique


Organized by

Sondra Caleb Gillean

This is a direct to organizer fundraiser.

Donor Comments

Report this page — Let Us Know if you think this page is breaking the law or the CrowdRise Terms