BENEFITING: GULF COAST WOMENS CENTER FOR NONVIOLENCE
Since 1977, the Gulf Coast Women’s Center for Nonviolence (Center) has been providing specialized and holistic services to survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, and also to loved ones of homicide victims on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. The Center opposes violence in word or action by any individual or group against any other individual and/or group. We promote equality in all relationships and provide services to individuals across all racial, social, ethnic, religious, and economic groups regardless of age, sex, or lifestyles.
Every single dollar you invest in the Purple Purse Campaign will ensure that survivors of interpersonal violence on the Mississippi Gulf Coast have access to:
- 24/7 emergency crisis hotline response
- 24/7 emergency safe shelter
- 24/7 emergency hospital response for sexual assault victims
- Case management
- Individual, group, and family counseling for adult and child survivors
- Life skills classes
- Economic empowerment
- Workforce re-entry assistance
- Transitional housing
- Court advocacy and protection order assistance
- Support groups for loved ones of homicide victims
- Comprehensive community and youth outreach education
- Incredible Years Therapeutic Preschool
- Northcutt Legal Clinic providing pro-bono family law services
In 2015, the Center provided 21,513 nights of emergency safe shelter and other comprehensive, residential and non-residential services to 2,840 domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking victims. The Center served a total of 49,283 meals to residents residing in its emergency shelters. Additionally, staff answered 13,987 phone calls received through its 24/7 crisis hotline and provided 148 education events to 6,695 youth and community participants.
However, NONE of the work we do would be possible without your support!! We can’t do this work without you and now we’re calling on you to help us maximize this amazing opportunity that Allstate Foundation has given us through its Purple Purse Challenge. Now through October 25 your donation can help us win an additional $100,000. We are so excited to participate in this nationwide challenge and are grateful for your continued support!