4others via Crowdrise
June 15, 2010
Right now, almost 1 billion people lack access to clean drinking water. They're drinking from polluted lakes and streams. 5,760 children die every day from water-related illnesses. They're dying for something we can get from our kitchen sinks!
HERE'S THE CHALLENGE:
* For the next 2 weeks, make water your only beverage.
* Set aside the money which you would normally have spent consuming soda, juice, milk, coffee, etc, and donate it here.
* You can donate daily or calculate the amount you saved at the end of the 2 weeks and donate it then.
1. Is it a sacrifice to give up soda, Starbucks, tea, milk, and juice? Yes.
2. Is it worth it? Absolutely! For every $1 you save from skipping these beverages, you can provide 1 African clean water for 1 year!
3. Where does the money go? 100%* of the funds go directly to clean water projects (drilling and repairing wells) in sub-Saharan Africa through the African Water Project.
4. What if I have to drink milk? Go ahead! But if you can skip it for 2 weeks, that might be a few more dollars you can give to save lives in Africa.
5. What if I buy bottled water? We suggest buying just one and then inconvenience yourself for the next 2 weeks by continuing to refill it.
6. What if I can't do it for 2 weeks? Then, do it for a week or a day, etc.
FOR MORE INFO:
African Water Project: www.africanwaterproject.org.
For another way to raise funds for clean water in Africa, check out what this group of young people are doing: www.crowdrise.com/badwater4goodwater.
*100% of the funds we receive will go directly to the clean water projects in Africa. (In order to cover expenses of maintaining this website, Crowdrise deducts a nominal fee from donations.)