HeadsUpGuys wrote -
"I've been hiding my depression for many years and finally decided to deal with it head-on. You guys have kickstarted my recovery."
Depression affects millions of men every year, and is the leading cause of disability worldwide. Unfortunately, a lot of guys buy into myths about depression (e.g., it’s a sign of personal weakness, real men don’t ask for help) that prevent them from reaching out to others to build the supports necessary for successfully fighting depression.
Around the world, men account for three times the number of suicides compared to women.* We are losing far too many men to silence and suicide, as men try to bear the burden of battling depression alone.
Providing men with tips, tools, information about professional services, and story videos from real men who have overcome depression as a way to support them in their efforts to turn their lives around is our purpose.
Since launching in June 2015, HeadsUpGuys has quickly made a huge impact:
Over 140,000 website visits from all around the world - (US, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Philipines, India, and Pakistan)
Over 21,000 self-checks completed
Over 9,000 fans on social media - (facebook and twitter)
Over 50 media features - (CBC, Huffington Post Canada, Huffington Post US, Huffington Post UK, The Mighty, Movember Radio, and The Telegraph)
Over 50 sites linking to us as a valuable resource - (Partners for Mental Health, Bring Change 2 Mind, The University of British Columbia, Movember Canada, Movember US, Anxiety and Depression Association of American, Guard Your Health, and the International Suicide Prevention Association)
Featuring Your Stories
Men need to hear it from other men - depression can be overcome. That’s why throughout October 2016 we will be sharing stories of recovery and practical tips from men who have fought and overcome depression. Follow along on our facebook or twitter, @headsupguys.
- Joel's Story (conceptual photographer based out of British Columbia, Canada)
- Will's Story (professional landscape and travel photographer based out of Wollongong, Australia)
- Adam's Story (conceptual self portrait artist and photographer based out of Brunei and the UK)
- Jean-François's Story (communications professional, mental health speaker and advocate based out of Ontario, Canada)
- Jay's Story (animator based out of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada)
- Connor's Story (mental health advocate based out of British Columbia, Canada)
- Bill's Story (United States Army Veteran, author, and public speaker based out of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States)
- Julian's Story (mental health advocate based out of BC, Canada)
- Jonathan's Story (ex-lawyer based out of BC, Canada)
- Nelson's Story (tech company manager based out of Sask., Canada)
- Keith's Story (lawyer and mental health advocate based out of (Nova Scotia, Canada)
- Foster's Story (multi-disciplined artist and mental health advocate based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada)
- P.'s Story (lawyer)
- Scott's Story (software developer and skydiving instructor based out of BC, Canada)
- Gogan's Story (owner of The August Market, based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada)
- Matt's Story (technology entrepreneur, founder of cambyo based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada)
- Kevin's Story (writer, comedian and activist for mental health based out of Victoria, BC/Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
- Jonny~Noel's Story (singer and songwriter based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada)
- Bryce's Story (founder of The One Project based out of Vancouver, BC. Canada)
- Tommy's Story (visual artist based out of Nyköping/Stockholm, Sweden)
- Brryan's Story (international motivational speaker, from St. Louis, Missouri, United States)
- Josh's Story (Project Coordinator for HeadsUpGuys based out of Vancouver, B.C. Canada)
- Follow along we post new stories to HeadsUpGuys.
Keep HeadsUpGuys Going
HeadsUpGuys came to life through generous start-up funding provided by the Movember Foundation. Our funding from Movember will soon run out. But, the amazing response and success of our online resource shows that HeadsUpGuys is indeed serving an important purpose and needs to keep going.
Our goal is to raise funds to allow the staff of HeadsUpGuys to continue serving men around the world with this one-of-a-kind resource – it’s our passion and our purpose.
HeadsUpGuys is a free online resource – accessible to anyone with an internet connection. Our future depends on the support and generosity of the public, as we work together to improve the health of men in our communities and across the globe.
We hope our mission strikes a chord with you. We’re asking supporters to join in the campaign and help raise funds to extend the life of HeadsUpGuys. Many hands make light work, (e.g., it would only take 500 of our supporters to contribute or raise $100 each to reach our fundraising goal), so please share our mission and goal with others.
There are three ways you can support HeadsUpGuys:
- Make a Donation
- Join Our Team and Raise Funds for HeadsUpGuys (click Fundraise for this Campaign)
- Share This Campaign with Your Friends and Family
Looking for Partners
HeadsUpGuys is based at The University of British Columbia (our Founder, Dr. John Ogrodniczuk, is a Professor of Psychiatry at UBC). UBC continues to provide HeadsUpGuys with complimentary office space and associated infrastructure, as well as administrative support, saving us thousands of dollars per year.
We are currently looking for other partnering organizations to solidify a sustainable source of funding. If you or an organization you are associated with are interested in partnering with HeadsUpGuys, please contact Dr. John Ogrodniczuk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
* World Health Organization, World Suicide Report 2014.