HEALTHSTART via Crowdrise
March 23, 2012
I founded HealthStart to help shape children’s health starting with early health education. Shaping kids' health has never been more important. Today for the first time in two centuries, a child born in the US may not live as long as his or her parents.
With the help of researchers, educators and a handful of highly motivated volunteers, HealthStart’s developed a curriculum called Health Education for Youngsters! (HEY!) and a set of tools to help kids, their parents and teachers learn how their bodies work, and how food and fitness can keep them healthy.
Right now 11 Central Texas preschools are teaching about 200 3, 4, and 5 year olds how to be healthy their whole lives with HEY!. In the next year we’d like to double that number with at least 400 Texas children and their families learning HEY!.
That’s why I’ve started this campaign. HealthStart needs to raise at least $10,000 by July 1, 2012. It doesn’t take much, $50 will cover the cost of providing a child the complete HEY! package for a full year; $500 will cover an entire classroom’s cost plus teacher training. Any amount helps.
Here's what your donation buys:
- $25 = HEY! Nutritional Poster for a classroom
- $50 = Complete HEY! package for 1 child for a year
- $250 = Give an early childhood education professional the tools to create health literate children (HEY! Package + Training for 1 Year)
- $500 = Complete HEY! classroom package for 1 school for a year
- $1000 = Sponsor a HEY! Teachers’ Workshop for 15 teachers – teachers get Professional development credit, HEY! Teachers’ Guide, Interactive Classroom Poster, and Materials package