Updates on Liberation School--What we have been able to do because of your gifts
September 12, 2017
BENEFITING: Appalachian Community Fund, Inc.
Over 90% of the changemakers we have worked with, identify their health and healing as one of the leading factors toward considering dropping out of the work for justice, and or contributing to their overwhelm and burnout.
Without healing, our movements for change will not be survive the impact of this trauma and be unable to impact unjust policies and procedures at the local, state, national and global level.
Read about our work here: https://southwritlarge.com/articles/ghosts-we-carry-healing-we-practice-medicine-for-liberation/
Liberation School’s Mission:
Center healing and spirituality into our movements for change.
Why: Changemakers, especially people of color, experience institutional, interpersonal and structural racism--which is trauma. This experience results in a number of health depleting conditions including but not limited to; toxic stress, depression, high blood pressure, and death.
Furthermore, most changemakers experience vicarious trauma from working with traumatized populations and because of the psychological impact of the climate crisis. Untreated, this trauma leads to ineffective campaigns, burnout and other health-depleting conditions.
If we are in high trauma mode which takes a toll on our bodies, hearts, spirits and minds, then how can we create the world we need?
Be a part of changemaker resiliency, health and healing
Why you should join us: Liberation School is located within a long lineage of healing and spiritual organizing and activism, we are informed by the Black Liberation Movement of the US South, traditions of cultural organizing, radical healing and spirituality.
Your gift invests in a global cohort of changemakers that are leading movements for justice in Ferguson, Georgia, Appalachia, and in urban and rural areas across the US and world. These changemakers are working for racial, environmental, youth, LGBTQI, indigenous, reproductive justice, health equity and more.
In our inaugural year:
- Liberation School has established itself as the only global healing justice school based in the southern US
- We have built over 25 new partnerships with sister programs, foundations, and supporting organizations
- The 26-person cohort, brings together changemakers from three different countries or territories (Mexico, Canada and the US).
- Within the United States, the cohort brings changemakers together from 13 different states with a mix of both urban and rural areas represented
- Over 100 donors have contributed to Liberation School in amounts ranging from $5-$5,000
- We are leading the national conversation about the vital need to fund the healing, spirituality and justice sector
- We have spearheaded one of the few research projects being conducted on the impact of spirituality and healing for social and environmental justice movements, grounded in participatory and anti-oppression research methods
Liberation School is an inquiry, a risk, a question into how do we build a world of healing and belonging for all of us, but especially those of us who are not treated as sacred human beings because we live in a world of oppression.
This is the inquiry of Liberation School. It is personal, is it relational and it is strategic. How do we create the world we need inside and out?
Liberation school is 9-month holistic leadership school that provides training, support, connections, healing and mentorship for activists who are leading the most important social and environmental change efforts of our time.
Join us in imagining a different world, and a different way to organize for change--without unhealthy cycles of burnout!
Join us now, we need you.
As a donor, you will receive updates on the school and many other perks. See our donor levels below.
The Sage Bunch $151-$300 - 15 minute meditation by our faculty AND online thank-you card (and Liberation school tea blend f you send us your mailing address)
The Rosemary Bunch $51-$150 - Guided meditation by our faculty AND online thank-you card
The Turmeric Bunch $10-$50 - Guided meditation by our faculty