Love Creates Possiblity: Help Refugees in Greece
Organized by: Alanna Gillis
How Your Donations Were Used
March 07, 2017
I am raising funds to go to Greece in January 2017 to support relief efforts and volunteer in response to the refugee crisis.
I was moved by a dinner conversation with two acquaintances who had just returned from volunteering in Lesvos. Their pictures, their stories, their passion - inspired me to act.
Why I Chose Greece
Over 1 million people in search of sanctuary have passed through Greece since 2015. Today there are tens of thousands of refugees stranded in Greece as a result of the EU-Turkey Agreement. The majority, women and children, are trapped in temporary camps many of which do not meet humanitarian standards. People are waiting in long lines for food, water and showers. Children go without schooling. Many are suffering emotional distress with no hope for change in sight.
Here's how you can support this quest:
1. Donate. Small amounts add up to a greater whole when many people come together for a cause.
2. Share. Send the campaign link to family, friends and colleagues. Share on Facebook. Ask people you know to consider making a contribution and follow the campaign.
3. Love. Words of encouragement and love are welcomed and appreciated! (I am so nervous! A month, on my own, in Greece, in a refugee camp?!)
4. Join. Ohhh funnn!!! Anyone want to join me?!
This is a chance for us to be the change we wish to see in the world. While this is my quest, it takes a collective effort to create a greater impact.
Donations will go towards:
- the majority will go directly to (or towards the purchase of supplies requested by) the NGO/refugee camp I end up at
- accommodations (low-budget!)
- meals for the month
- health insurance/travel insurance coverage for the trip
- taxis and/or airport transfers
I will keep an accounting of expenses for the trip as I have the details. If I purchase supplies for the camp or NGO, funds will be spent locally to the extent possible.
When You Give You Receive
Here's what you'll get:
- the feeling you're involved in making a positive difference in the world
- transparent reporting about how your donations are used
- regular updates about my progress
- photos and blog posts capturing the journey - send your email address to alanna [at] alanna gillis [dot] com for more details
- my heartfelt gratitude and love (even if you can't spare a dime)!
I feel crazy (in moments) for doing this alone. But, it feels crazier doing nothing...standing by. So, I hope you'll support me in my special kind of crazy and stand for love with me.