Lewa Wildlife Conservancy USA via Crowdrise
June 01, 2015
BENEFITING: Lewa Wildlife Conservancy USA
The survival of Africa’s wildlife is on the wire: But we still have time to change this course of destruction
Lewa and its partners in Northern Kenya have found a way – and we invite you to be a part of each step we take to create safe, flourishing wild places in partnership with the communities that maintain them. Over the coming months we will offer you many ways to help.
This month, we are focusing on Elephant in our landscape – a 12,000 square mile area of northern Kenya that local communities have dedicated to conservation and is home to more than 8,000 elephant. Let’s work together!
With elephant numbers declining dramatically every animal is vital.
So this month help us save the more than 1,000 elephant who cross Lewa to reach Mt. Kenya by donating to create an underpass for Elephants. This is the second underpass we will build – the first has been so successful in mitigating both elephant and human deaths that we see a need on a contiguous road and feel it is critical to build an underpass as soon as possible
Why does this matter?
- Elephants roamed in the savannah grasslands freely and unrestricted, enhancing biodiversity.
- Many people in northern Kenya depend on farming for survival.
- Human population growth, demand for more food and infrastructural development has put pressure on the survival of these poor animals.
- This creates a human wildlife conflict that we can solve, one underpass at a time.
Why an underpass?
- Access for elephants to their grazing fields.
- Access to their migratory routes.
- Reduced contact with human beings.
- Reduced road accidents that involve elephants and humans.
How you can create a legacy? Donate to this campaign and Lewa will build the underpass. We will do all the work and for your legacy, once complete we will take photos of the animals while using the underpass and send them to you. For a donation of $10,000 and above we will engrave your name on the underpass.
$ 5,001 to $9,999 you get a print copy photograph.
Up to $5,000 You will get electronic updates of this project.
Here are photos of the first underpass – to give you a picture of what we are building: successful.http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/05/pictures/120516-african-elephants-underpass-migrations-animals-science/
Thanks for all you do!