Help Save an Orphan's Smile!
Team Member: Nebyat Yonas-Arbizu
EVENT DATE Jul 10, 2015
Bari Levine wrote -
This June 23rd, our group of 7 Temple Dental students will travel to La Sagrada Familia orphanage outside of Lima, Peru to improve the oral health of 800 children who live there. Along with 5 supervising dentists, we will provide oral health education and free dental care to nearly 500 children. We will also follow up on a supervised toothbrushing program we implemented last year, which included screenings and education for 125 of the children. From these screenings, we found the following:
• 52% of the children had at least 1 dental cavity
• 21% of the children had at least 1 severe dental infection
• 80% of the children had the highest levels of dental plaque
• 42% of the children did not own a toothbrush
• After 1 week, we saw statistically significant changes in oral health behavior and knowledge.
Please support our wonderful cause so we can improve the oral health of these beautiful children.