Helping El Salvador's Children
Organized by: Emily Daubert
EVENT DATE Jan 08, 2016
Hi! My name is Emily Daubert, and I am a 26-year-old doctoral student in the College of Education at the University of Maryland looking to use my expertise and love of travel to enact positive social change in the world.
I am asking for your support to travel to two villages in El Salvador to help local and visiting volunteers provide educational classes and resources to children living in deep poverty during their two weeks of summer break. I traveled to two villages in El Salvador last January and fell in love with the country, its people, and especially its children. On the upcoming trip, I will be responsible for:
- Ensuring the health and safety of 14 college-aged delegates
- Planning and organization of events about the unique history and culture of El Salvador
- Ensuring the quality of the education service activities delegates provide to the children (age 0-18) of the villages
- Helping to build relationships between delegates and the community
- Overseeing community projects (e.g. building of community fish tanks, development of a program for children with special needs)
- Developing a math and literacy assessment for local teachers to use to track the academic progress of children
-Providing donations to the local community
Cacahuatal and Hacienda Vieja in the Department of Cabañas near Sensuntepeque
I will be travelling to El Salvador from January 8th – January 22nd, 2016 no matter the funding amount I receive.
Because access to a high-quality education is a human right.
The trip will be made possible by International Partners, a public charity, which organizes delegations to various rural villages in El Salvador. International Partners works to cultivate leadership capacity in delegates, to empower local leaders who are interested in developing self-sustaining projects in the world's poorest places, to promote cultural understanding through personal partnerships, and to support grassroots development in poor communities.
More information about International Partners can be found at http://www.internationalpartners.org.
All donations will go toward my flight, specific donations for the children (school supplies, stuffed animals, toys), and the International Partners Educational Fund to help Salvadoran youth from the villages pay for college.