BENEFITING: CANBY CENTER
DO YOU KNOW SOMEONE IN CANBY WHO HAS A NEED?
- Recent data shows 790 Canby households live below the poverty line
- 50% of our elementary students are living in poverty
- 278 of our school age children are currently homeless
- Gangs are recruiting students as young as the 5th grade
- Unemployment is rampant
- Many individuals need medical and dental assistance
IN RESPONSE TO THESE NEEDS, DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE CANBY CENTER (TCC) HAS DONE?
Since 2007, the community has donated $1,745,335 to assist those in need. Volunteers have donated tens of thousands of hours of service. Community partners are essential to programs not limited to:
- Partnering with local professionals to receive dental and vision service
- Assistance for medical needs
- Partnering with TCC, churches, local organizations and concerned citizens to provide 9,098 backpacks of food for children fighting hunger during the academic year
- Partnering with the Canby School District for feeding 1507 free meals to students during the summer
- Harvest share: An average of 32 families receiving food on Tuesdays.
- Partnering with St. Vincent DePaul food bus on Thursdays to provide on average 125 meals a week
- Last year providing 315 backpacks filled with school supplies to start the school year
- 50 at-risk students mentored
- Last year distributing over 20 tons of donated clothing which benefited 432 families and over 1700 individuals
- Developing relationships with client to enhance self worth and make them feel a part of the community
- Create an environment where children have positive interactions and learn life skills
WHO THEN IS THIS CANBY CENTER?
- The Canby Center was formed in 2007 by faith-based community leaders concerned about the impacts of growing poverty and homelessness in Canby. As a result, a non-profit 501c(3) corporation was created
- Six years after its creation, The Canby Center along with various churches, community groups and concerned citizens offers a broad array of providing assistance in the areas of food, heating, hygiene, health, education and housing
- The Canby Center assists the needy and provides opportunities for those with obstacles to become self-sufficient
HOW YOU CAN BE INVOLVED
The plan is to continue and expand these programs and to ensure The Canby Center stays a part of the City of Canby’s life stream. Consequently, we need your support to make this happen. Here are examples of how your financial donation changes lives:
- $100 provides clothing for 20 people
- $2,500 provides over $18,000 worth of dental care to 37 people
- $265.00 provides 4 people eye exams and glasses
- $570 provides food for 250 children for the weekend
As we close out 2013, would you please consider making a donation to help us meet our goal of continuing and expanding our programs? This is an investment in the community that gives our neighbors a place to know they can find hope and relief in their times of need. We encourage you to join in this important work by making a tax deductible contribution to The Canby Center so the programs for the needy and self-sufficiency can be continued and expanded.