THANK YOU // MIA'S OFF TO THE SPIRIT IN THE SKY
Organized by: Eve Smith
I want to thank you all for your love and support -- and share some sad news. On Wednesday, May 14th Mia took a sudden turn for the worse and we decided to put her down. It felt like the smart, compassionate thing to do, but that didn't make it any easier. I am so grateful to each of you for sharing your love and sending her off in style.
If you donated after Wednesday, I'm trying to figure out how to give you a refund. To all of you, I will send leftover funds to Frankie's Friends - the foundation who helped me - so that they can help another pet family.
In case you're curious... Mia was doing amazing on Tuesday night. Smashing. I took her to the park by the water and we played ball like we haven't in years. She was sharp, focused, funny and unstoppable. We played for about an hour and a half. She didn't want to go in, but it was getting late for me. The next morning she was fine. Then by mid-day she didn't want to walk. I thought may she pulled something? By the night time, she was listless and laying there. I had to coax her to eat her homemade chicken and broccoli. I had a bad feeling but took relief in the fact that we were going into the vet the next morning... When we got there the vet said that -- to everyone's surprise -- she had dangerously high fever (107). They gave her fluids to bring it down a bit and ran tests. Everything came back normal -- blood work, blood pressure, chest x-rays -- but her ultrasound showed that something had burst in her abdomen and it was now septic aka toxic and her body was desperate to fight it off. They think it could've been a burst lymph node. Or maybe the cancer had spread to her intestine and when her body responded well to that first treatment (yay!) a lot of those cancer cells died off quickly, making her intestinal wall thin and prone to fissures. They could've done an investigative surgery to flush out the belly and search for the source of the leak... having to pull out her entire intestine and search for a hole, looking at all her organs. They may or may not find it. Her odds were 50% -- and with her lymphoma, her immune system was down. If she survived, she could get an infection. And on top of that, she's still have cancer. We'd have to wait for her to recover fully and then go into treatment. I was going back and forth. I didn't want to give up on her! But I also didn't want to be selfish. When we were taken up to see her, I knew it was time. She looked withdrawn and tired. Her fever was still at 105. It felt unnatural to have that kind of power - to say when another being's last minute would be. But I also knew she wasn't up for all the fighting. We said goodbye and put her to sleep, and then out for good.
It's never how you imagine it, I guess. I didn't get to see her get old and grey and cranky. We didn't say goodbye in a field, it was a fluorescent room. It wasn't quiet, there was a yapper nearby punctuating the moment. She barely turned her eyes on me while I was petting her to sleep. Then her eye lids fell away from the eyeballs and her body softened completely. There's loss and pain, but also gratitude for having shared my life with such an amazing being. Gratitude for her showing me how slippery and strange time can be. Gratitude for keeping me grounded, sane and wild.
Thank you for being part of our journey together.
Eve & Mia
Mia and I have been together for 9 years. I found her at the Houston SPCA when she was just a few weeks old (see the pics!) and we've been best friends ever since. She's an amazing, intelligent, intuitive, strong, loving animal.
About a week ago, she was diagnosed with lymphoma. And yet, just five days ago we took her hiking upstate and she climbed a mountain and swam through a river. She might be nine, but she still acts like a puppy! Dr. Britton said that one of the primary factors in prognosis is how the pup feels when they're diagnosed and I can assure you, Mia's got a good kick in her!
Sadly though, I do not have the $11,173.26 (updated real estimate from the vet!) I need for her chemo treatment. I started my own company two years ago and it’s growing, but I was only able to buy health insurance for myself this year! This cancer of the lymph system spreads quickly to the liver, spleen and bone marrow. Your chances of successful treatment are so much better if you act FAST!
We have requested funding from a wonderful organization called Frankie's Friends. If we receive funding from them we will update our goal amount accordingly!
UPDATE: We did receive funding which will acts like co-insurance and pays for 50% of Mia's treatment. The vet is also reducing their fees, dropping our new fundraising goal from $11,173.26 to $4,850.00!!! YAY!
If we don’t get funding assistance somehow somewhere, I’ll be faced with some heartbreaking choices. Please, please help us stay together a few years more.
Thank you from the bottom of our forever-entwinned hearts!