Help support the Kurdish people
Organized by: Michael Fonda
The goal of this fundraiser is to raise money for me to travel to Kurdistan to help the Kurdish people in Northern Iraq and Syria who are defending themselves against the IS threat. Currently there are over 40 million Kurdish people who are being threatened by IS and other extremist Islamist groups and they are fighting daily to repel the threat from their land. Men and Women of Kurdistan have taken up arms with the YPG (Peoples Protection Unit) against these evil groups so that their families can sleep at night in safety. You may think that this is not our war or our problem, but the Kurds were there for us when we were fighting against AQIZ and other insurgents, it is our turn to help them. IS is not just a problem for the Middle East, it is a problem for all people in the world and if we don't stop them before they get too strong, many more lives will be lost in this battle.
Currently the expenses for me to go and make a difference are as follows:
1) ~$1k in flights to get to Sulaymaniyah Airport where YPG will pick me up and connect me with the other Westerners fighting for the cause (Such as Jordan Matson, who I have spoken to on multiple occassions).
2) $500 for flak jacket and plates (They provide the weapons, food, and ammo just not the body armor, and most of their fighters do not wear armor)
3) Any additional money raised will go to buying supplies for the YPG such as medical kits, additional body armor, etc.
Once there I will be able to provide my knowledge and experience to these people who are just trying to create a safe and secure place for their families to live. I have 3 deployments to Iraq and 1 deployment to Afghanistan under my belt, and also have the following training that will be vital to the success of their mission:
- Arabic and Farsi Linguist
- Combat Lifesaver
- Expert Rifleman
- Reconnaissance training and deployment (1st Reconnaissance Bn)
- Security and Support Operations (SASO) Training
- Counterintelligence/Human Intelligence deployments (USMC and Contractor)
- Participated in Operation Phantom Fury in Fallujah, the largest ground battle since Hue City, Vietnam.
With this experience I plan to do everything in my power to help the Kurdish people repel their aggressors and establish a safe zone for them to live in peace. The YPG is not listed as a terrorist organization and they are not associated with the PKK. There are already tens of Western fighters helping their cause, most notably in the news Jordan Matson.
Please help me get over there to help these brave men and women succeed in keeping themselves and their families safe. I know many of you are concerned about my personal safety, but you have to look at the bigger picture and realize that this is bigger than you or me, this is about the stability of an entire region, a region that the US abandoned and now refuses to help clean up the aftermath.