Help the Children of Karanga Village Go to School!
Organized by: Campbell Dunsmore
Karanga village is located in the Kilimanjaro region of Tanzania. Last summer, we (Anna, Stefanie, and Campbell) volunteered in Karanga. We met two local women, Fatuma and Sara, who told us about a project they were working on to help Karanga children who are in need. They were particularly concerned at the time with kids who were having trouble paying their school fees, couldn't afford to buy exercise books or uniforms, or were not getting enough to eat at home (and therefore were hungry at school). Fatuma and Sara being the forward thinking, productive women that they are, therefore started the Excel Education Fund. Campbell is going back to Karanga this summer to work with some of the kids currently being helped by EEF, and assist Sara and Fatuma expand EEF into an even more comprehensive program that can help a lot of extraordinary, deserving children go to school, and vastly improve their quality of life!
HOW EEF GOT ITS START
In November 2013, Fatuma and Sara visited a public school to find out if they could assign volunteers there for program placement. While they were talking to the head teacher, this student came in and her tattered uniform held together by clips caught our attention. ‘What’s her story?’ they asked. It was a question that awakened them to the plight and situation of so many students in the public schools. Students whose families could not afford the contributions to the schools and provide for uniforms and other school supplies. Families which typically comprise a single parent or grandparent(s) who had little or no source of income, often due to the scourge of AIDS. They had asked the head teacher for the list of students in his school who could not pay the fees and were consequently at risk of dropping out, he gave them a short list of just over 40 names. This was just one school, and as they ventured to other schools, the scale of the situation became overwhelmingly clear. As the conversations grew, the familiar stories wrenched their hearts and became embedded in their subconscious, and they knew that the only thing they could do was to act. Initially, they thought they could simply help a few students with their own resources, but clearly they had to do more. With the backing of the community leaders and school teachers, they started a community-based-organisation which is now officially registered as: Excel Education Fund.
- To create awareness and raise resources to support as many students as possible through local and international networks
- To use available resources to assist those students with the greatest need and academic potential
- To involve and engage teachers and caregivers in providing support for the student
- To motivate and assist students to excel academically in school
- To instill a strong sense of community and responsibility amongst the students so they can in turn assist others in the program.
WHERE WILL YOUR DONATIONS GO?
We are grateful for every dollar and will make every effort to ensure every dollar is used responsibly and in the best way possible to benefit the students. If you choose to donate, you will be helping to students at one or all of the four schools in the greater Karanga area that local students can attend- Karanga Secondary, Magereza Primary, Shirimatunda Primary, and Moshi Primary. Donations will be used to:
- Pay school fees for students (from primary to secondary school...aka high school) who are high achieving and intelligent but are at risk of having to drop out of school for financial reasons.
- Purchase school uniforms (including shoes, socks and underwear), school supplies (exercise books, pencils, school bags) etc.
- Pay for tutoring to boost academic performance for students who are struggling in certain subjects eg mathematics and English
- Arrange educational tours to motivate and expose the kids to available jobs
- Funding for other supporting activities such as quarterly meetings with teachers and caregivers, an annual EXCEL day gathering will be sourced separately as required.
SPONSORING A STUDENT
If you are interested in fully sponsoring an individual student for a year of school, we have profiles of students available so that you can attain, and maintain, a personal connection with your sponsee. Please email email@example.com for more information.
AND FINALLY, THANK YOU!
Thank you so much for taking the time to visit this site. All of us working on this project are so grateful for your support. Truly any donation, great or small, goes a long long way!