Help The Nugents Recover From Losing Their Home
Organized by: Chelsea Humble
Chelsea Humble via Crowdrise
May 07, 2015
**Update May 2015**
We have had a lot of press recently - two articles within the last week and a half! Links below. But before that I want to share that the Nugents have had some good news recently. They are due to close at the end of the month on the house. Though they will take a large loss, they will be able to begin to close this challenging chapter of their lives. However, the legal battle continues on as they prepare for trial sometime in the next year.
They have also moved into a rental house and have a little bit more normalcy for their family including a back yard. Due to three different unfortunate events last year they lost their home, their trailer at our family's camp grounds, and their SUV. We are really hoping that 2015 is the year of recovery for them, slow going though it may be. Their oldest daughter continues to have some concerning health challenges so prayers, positive thoughts and ongoing support are very much appreicated. We love you all for your support - it is appreciated beyond what you know!
When the Nugent's purchased their dream home on a spacious 2.5 acre lot in 2013 they thought they had found the ideal home to raise their two girls and infant son. They took out a VA loan, spent their life savings on the downpayment and renovations, and worked tirelessly on the home for months. After they moved in strange smells lingered even though they had ripped up carpets and pads and used KILZ paint. Family members and friends felt ill when visiting and left with headaches. The Nugent's themselves were sick regularly but chalked it up to cold and flu season. Little did they know their bodies were being bombarded day and night with toxic chemicals in the air they breathed, the water they drank, their cooking appliances and every surface in their new home.
After a few months in the new place their dog began to grow a large mass on her abdomen and had to be put down. At one point one of the neighbors mentioned that the previous owner did meth in the house. After doing some research the Nugent's began wondering if there was meth residue in their home. Exposure to meth byproducts from smoking and manufacturing it can cause extreme digestive issues, headaches, breathing problems, anemia, and cancer. Along with the litany of symptoms they all had, they would soon find out that their otherwise healthy baby boy had also developed anemia.
The family bought a $50 mail-in kit and tested the home themselves (the first of many positive off-the-charts tests). The night they got the results back they pulled into the driveway, looked at each other, and knew they could never go back in. They drove straight to a hotel where they would live for the next three weeks. The house had levels twenty times higher than what the state deems acceptable. They had just invested their life savings into their new home and it was all gone. They were forced to start all over again – this time using credit cards for necessities and unable to pay their bills. After nine months in their dream home the Nugent’s had to make the heartbreaking decision to rent an apartment for their family of five and default on their home loan. The worst part is that they were left wondering if their childrens' health had been permanently compromised by their exposure to meth.
Within two weeks of moving out of the house, the Nugent's then sixteen-month-old son started walking and became noticeably more energetic and lively. Within a few days none of them were getting sick or having headaches anymore. It was confirmation that their home was poisoning them. Because meth infiltrates almost everything and can only be cleaned off of non-porous materials, the Nugent’s could only take (cleaned) clothing and a few small items to their apartment. They had to leave the first new bedroom set they had ever had, the pretty chandelier they had put in their daughters’ room, and the blood, sweat, and tears they had invested in making the house their dream home.
They are currently in litigation regarding the realtor that sold them their home and await mediation. The home was cleaned for meth by crisis cleaning (a donation) and is for sale. The family has lost so much of their investment, time and earning capabilities and they live in a weird sort of limbo. They have extra living costs to cover now in rentals and have no cushion left for life’s unexpected expenses that they have incurred. Last year they also lost their trailer at a family property due to a faulty plumbing flood and totaled their SUV on winter ice. They still need to cover what insurance won’t in removing the trailer and purchasing a new one.
Right now the Nugent’s need help paying for everything extra they have incurred in the last year and that is what we are hoping to help them do with this fundraiser. We can easily reach this goal if just 570 people gave $35. Even if you cannot give right now, please pass this along to help spread the word.
Our sincerest thanks to any person who contributes to pushing us closer to our goal for the Nugent’s.
News Stories About the Nugent's:
WRTV (local) - http://www.theindychannel.com/news/call-6-investigators/home-horrors-what-lurks-inside-central-indiana-homes
ABC - http://abcnews.go.com/US/home-sweet-meth-home-indiana-familys-real-estate/story?id=26579145
Al Jazeera - http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/america-tonight/articles/2014/7/14/the-test-homebuyersalmostneverdobutshould.html
Angie's List - http://www.ksfy.com/home/headlines/Angies-List-Report-Living-in-a-Former-Meth-House-280522202.html