This took on a very personal element for our family this week. Please support healing and recovery through yoga and mediation and the WARRIORS AT EASE program -
We need your help to accomplish our mission and expand our programs. It takes people and money to help and reach warriors with yoga & meditation classes.
The Warriors at Ease programs include:
- Training and 'Deploying' Trauma-Sensitive Yoga and Meditation Teachers into Military & Veteran Communities (more than 600 Warriors at Ease teachers serving more than 100,000 veterans at more than 65 bases and VAs)
- Creating and managing yoga programs at bases and VAs
- Military Sexual Trauma Program
- Military Family Program
- Resiliency Training Program
We need to:
- increase awareness of how yoga & meditation is a complementary adjunct to the treatment of PTSD & TBI.
- increase the number of yoga & meditation classes being offered to warriors and veterans.
- increase the number of yoga & meditation teachers that are trained to teach to the unique needs of military communities.
What have we done so far?
With your support from last year, this is what we accomplished in 2015:
- Advancing a long-term plan for offering standardized yoga and meditation classes across the full spectrum of health care in all DoD healthcare facilities and bases;
- Received a $24K grant from Disabled Veterans National Foundation to develop a new webinar program, "Yoga and Meditation for Military Sexual Trauma". The program is scheduled to launch in January 2016.
- Formed a partnership with several Veteran Service Organizations (VSOs) to offer “Bridging the Gap” retreats for family caregivers of veterans and active duty service members who suffer from visible and invisible wounds of war. At least 4 retreats will be offered yearly around the country. Funded by the Walter Reed Foundation;
- Formed a partnership with Manhattan College and Sivananda Ashram (Bahamas) to offer on-campus and 4.5 day retreats to freshman veterans at Manhattan College to offer stress reduction tools to enhance academic success.
- Developed a new program at Ft. Meade, MD in partnership with the Behavioral Health Department. Two WAE-trained teachers offer weekly "Yoga for Resilience" classes for service members and their families.
- Currently staffing a new program at the USO Warrior and Family Center at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center for two weekly WAE classes.
- WAE is training yoga instructors for a large, new yoga for a back pain study sponsored by Boston University
- Eastern Foundry, a veteran-owned business incubator and accelerator, selected WAE as a finalist in a national competition for most innovative approach to addressing PTSD. WAE was one of 14 finalists in a three-day event designed to cross-fertilize social entrepreneurs working to support veterans.
- Invited to participate as subject matter experts in a national conference, sponsored by the Yoga Service Council, to create a “Best Practices” book that will be distributed to VAs nationally to support the integration of yoga and meditation into VA facilities.
- Executive Director, Robin Carnes was a speaker at the first annual “Service Member to Civilian” National Conference. Response was very positive and WAE is slated to play a bigger role in this conference next year.
- Kaiser Permanente featured WAE in a training film, which is shown to thousands of healthcare providers nationally. The film’s purpose is to highlight the unique healthcare needs of veterans transitioning into civilian life. In the film, WAE trainers and trainees are shown doing yoga and meditation as a way to promote health, well-being, and resiliency. (To view the film, please visit: “Warriors At Ease Training – filmed by Kaiser Permanente” at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNX0IwDjQ7s.
We need your help to do this. Our staff works on a very part-time basis and we need to be able to pay them to work full-time.
In addition, we need more people on our team that can help. The yoga & meditation teachers that are teaching to our warriors need to be paid to do so. Thank you for your donation!