BENEFITING: Henry Street Settlement
ORGANIZER: Henry Street Settlement
EVENT DATE: Nov 06, 2016
I'm proud to be supporting Henry Street by running for their team in this years New York City Marathon on November 6th.
Specifically I'm running to support Henry Street’s Behavioral and Mental Health programs. Mental health touches every family in the US, yet is very rarely talked about. In fact 1 in 4 adults in the US experience mental illness US each year, while 1 in 17 live with a serious mental health issue.
I personally have seen the effects of serious mental health issues and understand how devastating it can be not having treatment or services available. While untreated mental illness can have a huge effect on families & friends,the hardest hit are those struggling with this illness, many who suffer silently.
Henry Street helps provide mental health services to those with nowhere else to turn, or no ability to pay. For those with the greatest needs, a little support goes a long way.
Henry Street provides services to over 50,000 New Yorkers each year, in the areas of Education, Sports & Recreation, Senior Services, Health & Wellness, Transitional & Supportive Housing, Employment, and the Abrons Arts Center/Visual and Performing Arts for all age groups.
Whether it’s meals on wheels for senior citizens, providing transitional housing options for those in need or offering sports programs to keep kids off the streets, Henry Street provides a wide range of services to New Yorkers in the Lower East side.
Take a walk through a family's path in Henry Street!
-$25 can provide 6 meals for grandma and grandpa at our senior center. There they can also enjoy our belly dancing classes (yes, really) and learn computer skills in the company of other seniors.
- $54 can help us enroll a family member in an affordable health insurance program. Most of our health clients are low-income immigrants with limited English who have difficulty navigating our complex health care system, so our bilingual health enrollers make a world of difference. (It also helps that we handle the biggest volume of clients in the city! We're experienced efficiency experts over at Henry Street.)
- $75 provides one hour of enrichment activities for the youngest in the family. Our instructors provide stimulating, fun and education activities to enrich our pre-k students.
- $116.50 helps Henry Street provide resume workshops, interview training and MetroCards for parents to find and get to work.
- $280 provides one teen with one semester's worth of college prep programs. Our college access program doesn't just stop at admission-- our counselors stick with our students through all four years of college.
- $500 can provide a full year scholarship for a student in our music program at the Abrons Arts Center.