BENEFITING: NOKOMIS CLUB OF REDMOND
Construction of Redmond's first library building took place during 1933 in the midst of the Great Depression, and was financed by $420 earned by members of the Nokomis Club of Redmond, Washington.
The first library continued to be funded, operated, and maintained for the public good through the hard work of the Nokomis Club, a women's service club founded in 1909. Eventually the library was sold to the former Chamber of Commerce with the requirement that it be used for the community. It is an important piece of our history.
Private developers want to turn this small piece of history into almost 100 a-pod-ments - only 200 sq ft units - and keep the money in their own pockets.
We must keep our famous city beautiful! Why would we destroy our history, our heritage, and a beautiful piece of downtown that is a community treasure?The city with private interests on the council, is rushing this project even though the private developers who claim ownership may not have a legal claim.
Stand up for the people. Preserve our History. We must save this community building for community use, and save this space for our future.
Your contribution can save the history of Puget Sound, of Redmond, and the long history of the women of the Nokomis volunteer group!