Hope on a String is raising $40,000 to acquire a vehicle to aid in our development and unlock even greater impact for our organization. We hope to achieve this goal by December 31st, 2014.
HOAS strives to build strong communities through musical engagement and we need your help! We run a small community center in the village of Corail in the Arcahaie region of Haiti. Here, we host classes, performances and workshops and provide a safe place for people to gather and learn. Corail has minimal access to electricity, paved roads, or amenities of any kind and while our success is reflected in the droves of students who attend our sessions, we have reached a point where we require some extra help. That is where you come in!
In order to launch Hope on a String and the community of Corail into the next phase of growth, we need access to dedicated transportation. We need a vehicle and we need one quick!
For more than three years, we have conducted all of our work without owning a vehicle to help achieve our goals. We have depended on the good will and hard work of our community participants to lug instruments and equipment to rehearsals and performances. We have hitched rides and borrowed cars to get our staff to important meetings. We have even ridden on the backs of motorcycles. In addition, hiring a driver providing full compensation for travel (especially between our community center and Port au Prince), fuel and general services can cost upwards of $150/day.
While these challenges have been met with a smile and gritty determination, we could expand our efforts if we had a vehicle all our own. Donating to this campaign will help us unlock even greater impact, and help us build on the following achievements we're proud to cite so far:
- HOAS has directly served more than 2,500 unique individuals in the community through classes and workshops.
- We have hosted on average 70 hours of classes and workshops per week since our launch in 2011.
- HOAS has transformed a former nightclub and brothel in a vibrant and dynamic community center dedicated to positive community engagement and action.
- We have created more than 25 jobs and numerous income opportunities in a community with endemic unemployment.
- We have produced and offered numerous free community performances attended by thousands of community members.
Please donate today and help us acquire a vehicle for our work in Haiti. With your support, we know we can bring even more joy, enrichment and community strength to the town of Corail. Mesi anpil!
**Hope on a String reserves the right to use funds raised in this campaign for general operating costs as needed, though our priority will remain the acquisition of a vehicle.