BENEFITING: ORGANIZATION FOR AUTISM RESEARCH
EVENT: #Active4Autism Virtual 5K
EVENT DATE: Apr 30, 2014
Our team is fundraising in honor of L.A.C.E.S. (Lovington Austism Center for Education and Services).
The mission of the Organization for Autism Research (OAR) is to apply research to the challenges of autism. We need you to get #Active4Autism to help make that happen! We’re holding OAR’s second annual virtual 5K event and you can participate and support OAR from anywhere in the world!
WHAT IS THE VIRTUAL 5K?
OAR is holding a 5K challenge through the entire month of April. You can join us and participate by completing your 5K “virtually” anywhere, anytime between April 1 and April 30, 2014. You can run or walk the 3.1 miles (5K) all at once, over the course of a week or the entire month. This is on the honor system—you do not have to report or verify your miles! We do encourage participants to share a picture on our Facebook Wall though. All participants who register will receive a custom-designed race t-shirt and #Active4Autism 5K race bib! Registration is $30.
Participants must register by March 10 to guarantee that they receive a shirt by April 1.
Participants who register by March 31 will receive a t-shirt mid-April (and will still receive the event race bib before April).
Your $30 registration fee is considered a charitable donation to OAR, a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. All net proceeds of the #Active4Autism Virtual 5K benefit OAR. OAR's efforts are currently focused on its “Autism in the Schoolhouse” initiative (including peer education and teacher training) and the development of a new Life Journey through Autism resource guide that focuses on safety issues across the lifespan.
CALLING ALL COUCH POTATOES!
Not interested in running or walking but still want to support OAR during National Autism Awareness Month? Make a general donation or volunteer to bring OAR resources to YOUR community by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org! You're also welcome to join the event as a fundraiser for the chance to win cool prizes--no running or walking required! To register as a fundraiser, click the "JOIN the event" button and select the "Start Your Fundraiser" option.
YES, YOU CAN ALSO WIN COOL PRIZES!
We're encouraging all participants to set up a fundraising page and invite friends and family to register to run with them! We're awarding a prize to the top fundraiser, the fundraiser with the most donors, and the biggest team. Anyone who raises at least $100 will also be entered into a grand prize drawing. Stay tuned for prize details!
ARE YOU READY TO BE A PART OF OAR’s #ACTIVE4AUTISM VIRTUAL 5K?
Here is what you need to do to get started today… the sooner, the better!
- Register ($30 fee) so you can receive your OAR #Active4Autism Virtual 5K race shirt and race bib by choosing the “JOIN the event” tab under the OAR #Active4Autism 5K event. Then choose the “register” option. Don’t forget to create your personal fundraising page after you register by clicking “Start your own fundraiser!” Fundraising is optional, but you’ll have a chance to earn cool prizes. Set up your personal fundraising page as part of this event and send it to everyone you know!
- Set a fundraising goal! A $100 goal is as simple as ten $10 donations from friends! A $500 goal can be met with twenty-five $20 donations from friends! Think big and encourage your family and friends to support your efforts!! Our top fundraisers will win a prize, and everyone who raises at least $100 will be entered into a grand prize drawing!!
- Invite friends and family to tackle your 5K with you!
- Have a photo taken while you are out running or walking in your official OAR #Active4Autism 5K race shirt with your race bib!
- Share your progress on social media networks—photos, progress reports on how far you have run or walked, and of course, your fundraising updates! Use the hashtag #Active4Autism on Instagram and Twitter.
- Complete your run or walk by April 30, 2014.
All donations made to your personal fundraising page in support of the Organization for Autism Research are tax-deductible!