Homeless by Fire
Organized by: R Lane
Hello... July 3rd, 2015, the Buena Vista Place Apartments had a building fire due to a lightning strike... this was our building. The roof was set a blaze, shooting 6-10 foot flames while the fire departments battled them. The fire destroyed the roof and third floor apartments. After about four hours, we were allowed back in for two minutes with an escort to grab medications, car keys, and the first set of clothes we could grab. The next morning, after the fire department spent all night putting out the fire, we were allowed back in for about 10 minutes to gather clothing and pet supplies and nothing else. The building was not safe and we were escorted in and out. With our apartment on the first floor, we have water, moisture, and mold damage. The building has been without power for about a week, so we are unsure what we may walk into. Because we could not afford a pet-friendly hotel for at least a week, we had to leave town to stay with family an hour and a half away. This caused us to lose over a week of work for both of us. We did not think much about the financial impact until now... and it hurts. All of the funds raised will be used to replace loss of income, replace food & clothing, charges incurred from the hotel stays - food - gas, cleaning our apartment, having the carpets and furniture professionally cleaned, and help relieve some of the burden from bills still coming due. Our complex has been amazing but they are not responsible for replacing any of the above. This was an act of Mother Nature. With that said, renters insurance does not assist and again, the complex is not responsible for our personal damages. But know this... They are helping in any way they can. Please do not call the complex and complain on behalf of myself or other tenants. The complex has been in touch and doing what they can within their own guidelines. You can search Google for 'Buena Vista Place apt fire' to find the articles. Thank you to everyone for your help, thoughts & prayers.