BENEFITING: PHARMACY FOUNDATION OF NORTH CAROLINA INC
Dear Friends and family,
Thank you so much to those who donated during the 72 hours we had the secret donors. And MUCH LOVE to the secret donors, who are no longer secret. Jonathan Gertler, our 1st cousin (on our father's side of the family) and his wife Jane came up with the idea for the match. Jonathan and Jane have not only matched what we raised ($1175.00 in 72 hours) but have bridged the gap and brought the scholarship to the full goal of $5000.00! They are sending a check directly to the Foundation.
Family and friends are wonderful. Thank you ALL.
We are sending a young woman from NC to pharmacy school next fall!
Much love to everyone. ~ Wicca, Marie and Noelle.
Shirley Hurwitz Paull grew up in the small town of Clinton, NC. During WW II Shirley entered the 1st class at UNC-CH that allowed women into pharmacy school. After graduation, Shirley worked as a pharmacist for over 45 years. She encouraged the young women who worked around her to get an education and to go to college. Because of Shirley, more than one woman became the first in their family to ever attend and finish college. And some of those young women are now seeing their grandchildren in college.
- Shirley died on August 14th, 2005. To honor her on the 10th year after her death, her daughters began this memorial campaign to raise money for a one time scholarship - to give to a deserving young person from NC who has dreams of becoming a pharmacist.
- We were originally hoping to have the Clinton, NC high school involved in this, but they were not able to help us create a fundraiser where the money you donate be tax deductible. Therefore the scholarship will be administered through Shirley's alma mater via the Pharmacy Foundation at UNC Chapel Hill. The student chosen to receive the scholarship will be entering or already a pharmacy student at UNC-CH, a student in good standing, who is in need of financial assistance to pay for their education. The UNC Pharmacy Foundation will set aside all monies donated through this website into a fund and will chose the student who will receive the scholarship.
- We, Marie Creed, Wicca Davidson and Noelle Paull - Shirley's daughters - know our mother would be pleased with this memorial gift in her honor. We will meet the person who is chosen for the scholarship, and the Pharmacy Foundation is hoping to do an article about Shirley in one edition of their newsletter.
- Please give whatever amount you feel comfortable giving. We have a year to raise the funds for this scholarship ~ and with your help, I know we can do it.
If you are not comfortable with online donations you can mail a check to: UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy 194 Finley Golf Course Rd., Suite 106 Chapel Hill, NC 27517
Please be sure to allocate your donation to the Shirley Hurwitz Paull Pharmacy Scholarship. Thank you!
- Please look at the photos! Some are of Shirley working, there is a family photo taken in the yard at 212 Lisbon Street in Clinton, there is a photo of the family store, and Shirley's high school graduation photo. I will add more photos, including those from her Yackety Yack- the UNC-CH University Yearbook.