Devastating floods in Louisiana have left an estimated 40,000 homes damaged, and countless families in crisis. Several Chartis colleagues have reached out, inquiring about what our organization can do to help. At the recommendation of Claudia Miller, who lives in Baton Rouge, we are going to be raising money for the St. Vincent de Paul "House in a Box" program. Here's some more info on the program:
- Each HIB costs $1,850.00. Let's see how many families we can support!
- Chartis will be matching all donations, up to $10,000.00 total.
- The "House in a Box" program was started by SVdP in 2005 during Hurricane Katrina. Now, the program is used across the nation to help families recover from natural disasters.
- Concept: To provide new household items for families who have lost everything as a result of natural disasters and who are forced into situational poverty. The “House in a Box” gives dignity to families in crisis as it gives them a new start and fresh start. All families receive the same new items which are packaged for efficiency of delivery. The program is scalable to the size of the family.
- It is the person-to-person, holistic case management that distinguishes SVdP from other organizations’ approach to relief and recovery – reaching out to each individual to determine his or her needs and then working closely with them to meet those needs. Your contribution will help to change lives, rebuild homes, and most importantly, restore hope to those in need!