BENEFITING: Water For People
Rent a motorcycle from House of Motorrad, pledge a penny for every mile you ride to this fundraiser, and we'll lighten your load (just as we wish to lighten the load of those who have to hike miles for water) with FREE LUGGAGE RENTAL.
Water. Such a simple thing, yet so hard to supply everyone with.
Born from an MLK Jr inspired dream and a motorcycle trip from Boulder, CO in the USA to Bariloche, Argentina, House of Motorrad wants to help with this issue. Therefore, we are supporting the non-profit international organization, Water For People, which helps those in developing countries improve or create their locally sustainable drinking water resources, sanitation facilities and health and hygiene education programs. We believe, like Water For People, that access to safe drinking water and effective sanitation are basic human rights.
The following statistics are too staggering to ignore:
- More than 2.5x more people lack water than live in the United States
- 1 billion people lack clean drinking water
- 2.5 billion people lack working sanitation facilities
- More people have a mobile phone than a toilet
- Unsafe water and lack of basic sanitation kill more people every year than all forms of violence, including war
- 90% of the 30,000 deaths that occur every week from unsafe water and unhygienic living conditions are in children under five years old.
- In Africa alone, people spend 40 billion hours every year walking for water. Women and children usually bear the burden of water collection, walking miles
- Women spend 200 million hours a day collecting water, which can weigh 40 pounds or more every trip
- Every 21 seconds, a child dies from a water-related illness
So, we want to help. Rent a motorcycle from House of Motorrad, pledge a penny for every mile you ride to our Miles For Water Fundraiser, and we'll lighten your load (just as we wish to lighten the load of those who have to hike miles for water) with free luggage.