ENDANGERED SPECIES INTERNATIO...
May 15, 2012
BENEFITING: ENDANGERED SPECIES INTERNATIONAL
EVENT: Groupon Earth Day Challenge
HOURS PLEDGED: 5,000
Endangered Species International (ESI) works hand in hand with local hunters to protect rainforest of Congo and stop the hunting of endangered gorillas. It is a unique project that will create the cooperative of hunters for gorilla conservation and develop alternative livelihood that will support conservation. Our team composed in part of Congolese born in this rainforest is 100% dedicated to stop the killing. Please help us to reach our main goal of $25,000: Zero gorillas killed in southern Congo!
Since ESI is a medium in size, compared to large wildlife conservation organizations our administrative costs are lower and impacts on the ground larger. Here is why:
1. Project activities are not decided and run from a distant office with staff visiting the field for few days like is practiced with other international and domestic nonprofit organizations. Our dedicated staff and volunteers spend most of their time in the field, between 60 and 100% on the ground working with local communities to save endangered species and their habitat. The majority of the decisions are made with and by local communities.
2. Among our staff we have tribal members and we truly empower indigenous people while saving endangered species and wild places via training, livelihood activities and more.
3. We keep our administrative spending to a minimum and do not have big office expenditures to make sure the funds go directly to save biodiversity. Our field offices are very low cost and are less than $100 per month.
4. Donating to ESI will have a stronger impacts than giving to larger organizations for the simple reason that while they claim otherwise, a significant portion goes to maintain staff, large offices, marketing campaigns and the like. Endangered Species International uses only 2% for management and operations.
5. We are a true conservation organization using 100% solar energy while in the field by putting solar panels at our field house in the Philippines which also serves as a community gathering place, a website hosted by energy from wind turbines, recharging our flashlights via portable solar energy, using 100% recycled papers, and keeping the total paper usage to less than 100 sheets per year.
We are listed as #7 on the list of 10 best wildlife charities worth supporting. www.petside.com/article/10-wildlife-charities-worth-donating When you donate to your next wildlife conservation organization, please think of us, or click on the link below and start right now!
Notes from the Congo -
“Our team to save wild gorillas is mostly composed of Congolese. Like me, we all are passionate about saving endangered animals and rainforest of Congo and we have that passion since a very young age. We grew up in the rainforest and migrated to big city to find opportunities. Without ESI we could never returned to our forest to protect our Gorillas and stop illegal deforestation. For us, Gorillas are like our brothers and sisters. Unsustainable hunting and poaching is decimating our rainforest and we need everybody’s help to achieve our conservation dreams.” - Franck Mackoundi, Project Field Leader, Republic of Congo
“Please help endangered animal, please help Endangered Species International to help animals and their home.” - Painting message of Sofia Isabel Caballo, concerned 10-year-old girl.