Del Sol in February 2018!
November 10, 2017
BENEFITING: LAZAREX CANCER FOUNDATION
EVENT DATE: Dec 31, 2017
UPDATE: Our original event was the Napa Valley Ragnar, scheduled for November 2th and 5th, 2017. However, devastating wildfires have taken a toll on the area, so the event was cancelled. We worked with our charity and Ragnar to select a different race, and we selected Del Sol! We are Arizona-bound in February, 2018!
As we were looking for some team building activities, I thought maybe I could round up eleven coworkers to run a 200-ish mile relay.......... and then maybe I thought I could talk them into doing it for charity. We tend to be a competitive bunch who is always ready to take on a new challenge -- this seemed right up our alley! Our company values, and a few examples of how this experience will help us live those values are noted below.
Integrity | We do the right thing regardless of the consequences.
- Be genuine, say what you mean and mean what you say.
- Give credit where credit is due.
Pursuit of Excellence | We continually strive to exceed the expectations of our people and our clients.
- Relentlessly pursue of improvement. We have a wide range of runners on this team -- some have competed at a collegiate level or beyond. Others didn't even start to run until well into adulthood. But one thing is certain: given the opportunity to collaborate, participate, and compete, we want to leave this experience as a more cohesive group and better dynamics than we had beforehand. Not only will we each be a better runner, we hope to be a better team.
- Encourage and support personal and professional development.
Accountability | We take responsibility for individual and collective actions.
- Own lessons learned from failures and successes and apply to future decisions.
- Actively listen and respond to the needs of customers and community.
Collaboration | We work together to achieve collective and individual goals.
- Manage conflict with mutual respect.
- Recognize and celebrate success.
Passion | Our energy and enthusiasm are contagious. We are inspired to make a lasting impact.
- Maintain a positive attitude even during adversity.
- Encourage bold aspirations.
- Lead with joy and fun.
We picked Lazarex as our charity partner, and we are committed to raising at least $10,000 for them through this race. The deadline is 12/31/17. Your donation is tax deductible and all donations go directly to Lazarex -- all team members are responsible for their own travel costs.
How are the donations you collect put to use?
Each month Lazarex patients get a check reimbursing them for their expenses to get to their cancer treatments.
We help patients find the right medical study anywhere in the United States and we help pay for the costs to get them to their treatments including airfare, hotel, parking (because at some cancer center it’s $30 bucks a day just to park!!) and diagnostics that insurance companies don’t cover. If Lazarex Cancer Foundation wasn’t around to help with these costs it would be impossible for a majority of patients to take advantage of these breakthrough treatments happening at medical research institutions. Think about this – half of all research to find cures or better treatment for cancer fail. Not because of the science but because the studies don’t have enough patients enrolled. And patients don’t enroll primarily because they can’t afford to get to the treatment center. That is not okay!! We need to make research accessible to ALL patients not just those who have the personal resources to afford it. Life is too damn precious to not help!! Thank you for helping!!!
One more thing, there is no other foundation in the U.S. that helps patients and families affected by cancer in such a direct way. You can learn more about Lazarex at www.lazarex.org.
p.s. our help isn’t a one-time payment to our patients. We help them throughout the duration of their clinical trial treatment, and that could be years.
Cheers to Life and for making Life more awesome for others!