BENEFITING: IMPAIRED DRIVING IMPACT PANEL OF ISLAND COUNTY
EVENT DATE: Apr 15, 2012
CHARITY WEBSITE: IDIPIC
We're all on these roads together. Let's work to keep them safe from DUI!
IDIPIC is a a 501(c)-3 non-profit organization; a network of concerned individuals dedicated to its mission to deter driving under the influence and underage drinking in our communities through education and awareness. Those communities are in Island County, Washington.
In early 2000 there was a recognition of the need to combine correction with prevention to reduce the number of impaired drivers and underage drinkers there. IDIPIC was established that summer to provide DUI prevention panels --“creative sentencing” -- for court-ordered DUI and MIP offenders in Island County who otherwise had to travel to nearby counties.
Since “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure,” less than a year after it began IDIPIC began working with youth as well in elementary, middle, high school and beyond at Naval Air Station Whidbey Island.
Whidbey driver’s ed. students are required by their driving schools and instructors to attend an impact panel and to be accompanied by one of their parents, which is a first in our state. Nearly 4,000 students have attended to date.
Over 20,000 elementary through high school students have experienced various IDIPIC safety programs since 2001.
IDIPIC has been recognized by:
* Washington Traffic Safety Commission for its “untiring efforts” in DUI prevention
* PACFLT’s Navy Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention “best practices”
* Navy Region Northwest for “powerful” and “outstanding” NAS Whidbey Island safety training
* NAS Whidbey Island in its annual Installation Excellence Award submissions since 2008
* Numerous NASWI commands for its “eye-opening” and “invaluable” base panels.
* South Whidbey Seeds of Change: “guidance, inspiration and support” with Addiction Impact Panels
* Island County Health Advisory Board as a Community Health Hero