The INVEST 'N KIDS SCHOLARSHIP FUND is an endowment that supports low-income college bound students. The fund was created in 2011 by former directors and tutors of Boston College's Invest 'N Kids mentoring program.
This year the current INK co-directors - Eric Butler, Kimberley Clark, and Michelle Pinette - are training to run the Boston Marathon as Team Invest 'N Kids Scholarship Fund! Their goal is to raise $10,000. Through the funds raised, the INK Scholarship Fund Committee will award scholarships annually to two former Invest 'N Kids students who plan to attend a four-year college or university.
We hope you will support Eric, Kim, and Michelle and this wonderful cause by making a donation!
MEET THE RUNNERS
- What is your favorite part about being involved in Invest 'N Kids? As a tutor, I looked forward to working with my student every week and taking a break from studies. During the first year, the program was also a great way to familiarize myself with my new school (by participating in fun events, such as scavenger hunts and a tour of the athletic facilities) and a great way to meet my peers in different Carroll School programs. INK has really been one of the most rewarding experiences of my MBA experience.
- Why did you decide to run the marathon for Team INK Scholarship Fund? I'm motivated to run the Boston Marathon with Team INK because it's an opportunity to fulfill a personal goal of running a marathon and raising awareness--and money--for a program that I believe in. I feel really lucky to have the best team--my co-directors--to train and motivate me, too. Most importantly, I know the difference that a college scholarship can make in a person's life, not only from firsthand experience, but because I interact with the INK students on a weekly basis. A scholarship is not only a gift of money, but a gift of faith that somebody somewhere thinks you can do something more than you think you can. This motivates me, and I really hope we accomplish our goal to raise money... but also finish the marathon.
- List three songs on your marathon training iTunes playlist.Diamonds of Sierra Leone (Kanye West, Ft. Jay-Z) // Pain (Jimmy Eat World) // Lost! (Remix, Coldplay and Jay-Z)
- When I make it up Heartbreak Hill, I am going to ... Start thinking about the epic celebratory meal I'm going to have with friends & family.
- What is your favorite part about being involved in Invest 'N Kids? My favorite part about being involved in INK is how much fun it is to work with the students. As a tutor I had the opportunity to develop a relationship with my student and her friends. From there I would look forward to Thursdays and the break from my busy schedule to have some fun working, teaching, and laughing with my student. As a co-director, I love seeing those same relationships blossom between our new tutors and students.
- Why did you decide to run the marathon for Team INK Scholarship Fund? The students we tutor are smart, creative, and hard working. I would like nothing more than to be able to help these students minimize some of the road blocks they face when trying to go on to college. A scholarship can continue to foster success for these fantastic students and I would like nothing more than to help support this cause. I am also very excited about running in my first marathon! It has always been a goal that I have had and I can think of no better way to fulfill a personal goal and support a wonderful cause.
- List three songs on your marathon training iTunes playlist. The Distance (Cake) // Float On (Modest Mouse) // Such Great Heights (Postal Service)
- When I make it up Heartbreak Hill, I am going to ... Wave to all the BC fans and play some good music to get me to the finish!