BENEFITING: Islamic Relief USA
ABOUT THE EMERGENCY
In Syria, entire towns and neighborhoods have been isolated since an uprising began in the country in 2011. In many communities, people have been forced to remain in their homes because of the violence. They cannot commute to work, school and other places of business, or get supplies or medical care. This makes life unbearable for people who already have little access to food, water, medical care and electricity.
The United Nations estimates that tens of thousands of Syrian refugees have fled to neighboring countries, and more than 120,000 UNHCR-registered foreign refugees, many Iraqi and Palestinian, are also on the move in Syria.
HOW ISLAMIC RELIEF IS HELPING
Islamic Relief is helping Syrian refugees by working with humanitarian groups in Jordan to build emergency capacities in order to adequately care for Syrian refugees who have fled to the kingdom to escape escalating violence in their hometowns.
Syrian families escaping to Jordan are receiving emergency aid including the following:
- Food packets, which include rice, sugar, oil, beans, cheese and salt
- Hygiene products
- Diapers and formula for babies
- Kerosene and gas cylinders for heat
BY THE NUMBERS
- Nearly 41% of refugees registered in Syria have illnesses or physical ailments that require special attention
- Between 4,000-8,000 Syrians are estimated to be taking refuge in Jordan
(Source: UNCHR, news sources)